Apr 30, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Here are Nos. 11-19 of ProSoccerTalk’s weekly countdown following nine rounds of regular season play.
(Nos. 1-10 are on deck …so check back)
19. D.C. United – Finally, a little spoonful of good news: Chris Pontius’ injury does not seem as bad as first feared. And, uh … no, that’s about it on the “good news” front. A 3-0 setback in Columbus is the latest brick in the wall of pressure mounting on the decides around RFK Stadium.
18. Chicago Fire – One step forward (last week’s win at home) and one step, well, not exactly backward. A loss in Montreal isn’t the worst thing, but it’s not what the Fire need to get out of this early season hole.
17. Seattle Sounders – That odd-duck MLS scheduling got the Sounders last week. Just when Sigi Schmid’s team was building a little momentum, Seattle had the weekend off. They face the Union at PPL Park outside Philadelphia in Round 10.
16. Toronto FC – Ryan Nelsen’s team was missing some zip in a 2-1 loss to New York at BMO Field. It’s not easy on the Reds (or the other teams from North of the border) with these important Canadian Championship matches sandwiched in between MLS weekends.
15. New England Revolution – Perhaps no MLS team needed a Week 9 result like the Revs. With Juan Toja back on the bench, Kelyn Rowe and Lee Nguyen played closer to the middle in a 4-1-4-1, and it worked swimmingly in a 2-0 win over Philadelphia.
14. Colorado Rapids – The Rapids nearly did something special in Houston, leading the Dynamo for a spell before splitting the points on Giles Barnes’ second-half equalizer. Veteran center back Drew Moor (pictured above) is back in the starting lineup for Oscar Pareja.
13. Philadelphia Union – Might there finally be movement on Bakary Soumare’s trade request, which goes back to March? He does seem like surplus goods around Chester, PA.
12. Chivas USA – A 2-2 draw at home against San Jose left the Goats winless in April. A trip this week into Sporting Park to face an angry Kansas City bunch is hardly a recipe for a fast start to May.
11. Columbus – A home match against reeling D.C. United worked out about as you would expect, a fairly comfortable 3-0 result against the Black and Red. But who expects the scoreboard to catch on fire?
Sep 2, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
This was supposed to be Guzan’s audition. Instead, this looks like competition.
Sep 2, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Altidore’s 74th cap will feature the U.S.’s armband, with Jurgen Klinsmann having handed his striker the honor for tomorrow’s friendly in Prague.
Sep 2, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Colombian hotshot signs for the Red Devils on Deadline Day. Will his move guarantee goals, and maybe more?
Sep 2, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Four reasons why Welbeck could thrive at the Emirates.
Sep 2, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
At just 18 years old, Emerson Hyndman has come through the Fulham youth ranks and is turning heads at all levels. He speaks to ProSoccerTalk about the chances coming all at once.
Sep 2, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Blues sign full back to new long-term deal at Stamford Bridge.
Sep 2, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Scorpions reveal stunning stadium plans, as the latest lower-league side plans for MLS expansion.
Sep 2, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Cleverley arrives at Villa Park after late, late loan move on Deadline Day.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Speaking ahead of the USA’s clash in Prague, here’s what Klinsmann had to say.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Bayern Munich midfielder to lead Germany after Lahm’s retirement.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:08 AM EDT
Where did the cash go? Who spent the most? Which records tumbled?
Sep 2, 2014, 8:26 AM EDT
Ronaldo’s not happy that Alonso, Di Maria were allowed to leave in the window.
Sep 2, 2014, 7:33 AM EDT
Is he a Red Devil or a Villan? Confusion over Cleverley.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
“Today two powers were brought together, the hand of God and that of the Pope,” Maradona joked. No, really. That’s what he said.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
How do you think United will line up?
Sep 1, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
From a 18-year-old Jamaican-English midfielder to a 34-year-old veteran goalkeeper, this team takes a ride through all types of players.
Sep 1, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
In the end, the player had to come from the nine-goal thriller at Goodison Park.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Rebecca Lowe, Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe bring you plenty of analysis on the summer transfer window’s Deadline Day.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Passing or failing? Take a gander at how each Premier League team fared.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Falcao signs for United, arrives on loan from Monaco with view to a permanent transfer.
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 0
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 0
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 4
- Why Danny Welbeck’s move to Arsenal was the best Deadline Day deal 5
- EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off his club debut, young Emerson Hyndman takes his USMNT chance in stride 0
- From Prague, with love: Klinsmann previews USA’s friendly vs. Czech Republic 4