Apr 30, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Here are Nos. 11-19 of ProSoccerTalk’s weekly countdown following nine rounds of regular season play.
(Nos. 1-10 are on deck …so check back)
19. D.C. United – Finally, a little spoonful of good news: Chris Pontius’ injury does not seem as bad as first feared. And, uh … no, that’s about it on the “good news” front. A 3-0 setback in Columbus is the latest brick in the wall of pressure mounting on the decides around RFK Stadium.
18. Chicago Fire – One step forward (last week’s win at home) and one step, well, not exactly backward. A loss in Montreal isn’t the worst thing, but it’s not what the Fire need to get out of this early season hole.
17. Seattle Sounders – That odd-duck MLS scheduling got the Sounders last week. Just when Sigi Schmid’s team was building a little momentum, Seattle had the weekend off. They face the Union at PPL Park outside Philadelphia in Round 10.
16. Toronto FC – Ryan Nelsen’s team was missing some zip in a 2-1 loss to New York at BMO Field. It’s not easy on the Reds (or the other teams from North of the border) with these important Canadian Championship matches sandwiched in between MLS weekends.
15. New England Revolution – Perhaps no MLS team needed a Week 9 result like the Revs. With Juan Toja back on the bench, Kelyn Rowe and Lee Nguyen played closer to the middle in a 4-1-4-1, and it worked swimmingly in a 2-0 win over Philadelphia.
14. Colorado Rapids – The Rapids nearly did something special in Houston, leading the Dynamo for a spell before splitting the points on Giles Barnes’ second-half equalizer. Veteran center back Drew Moor (pictured above) is back in the starting lineup for Oscar Pareja.
13. Philadelphia Union – Might there finally be movement on Bakary Soumare’s trade request, which goes back to March? He does seem like surplus goods around Chester, PA.
12. Chivas USA – A 2-2 draw at home against San Jose left the Goats winless in April. A trip this week into Sporting Park to face an angry Kansas City bunch is hardly a recipe for a fast start to May.
11. Columbus – A home match against reeling D.C. United worked out about as you would expect, a fairly comfortable 3-0 result against the Black and Red. But who expects the scoreboard to catch on fire?
Mar 31, 2015, 9:26 PM EDT
As bizarre as this is to read, Michael Bradley didn’t register a single helper for the States until 2011. In the Klinsmann era, he has 12.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:07 PM EDT
It was out of character for Altidore, who hadn’t received a red card for club or country since he was with AZ Alkmaar in 2012.
Mar 31, 2015, 7:17 PM EDT
With the deal Porto have turned another big profit. See this incredible list below, as the Portuguese club giants have made close to $423 million.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
It was a busy couple days for friendlies outside of the draw between Switzerland and the USMNT, with some MLSers doing work in the mix.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:27 PM EDT
Tottenham Hotspur could have new, improved digs as soon as the 2018-19 season, according to the BBC.
Mar 31, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
Though Wayne Rooney had a series of good chances including a struck crossbar, it was the Tottenham man who beat Gianluigi Buffon to tie things up.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
What would the price tag be for the German star if he skipped Dortmund for Old Trafford?
Mar 31, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
Here are three points and a bonus reminder from the Yanks’ final match until April 15 in Texas against Mexico.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
Another late goal denies the USMNT victory.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Shea does his best Gareth Bale impression.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
Messi’s right foot is still giving him some bother.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
Klinsmann makes changes to team who lost to Denmark, switches up formation.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT
Could Di Maria be on his way out of Old Trafford after just one season?
Mar 31, 2015, 10:02 AM EDT
Plenty of intriguing questions surrounding the USMNT picture ahead of Tuesday’s game against the Swiss.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Top European teams will get extra revenue from Champions League, Europa League from next season.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT
Three out of five ain’t bad, right?
Mar 31, 2015, 7:57 AM EDT
Messi tops list of forwards in Europe.
USMNT vs Switzerland preview: Last time they met, Michael Bradley scored the winner with a full head of hair
Mar 30, 2015, 11:07 PM EDT
Maurice Edu and Danny Szetela helped the goal get going, and Bradley was barely more than 20 years old.
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 1
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 8
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 3
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 2
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2