Apr 30, 2013, 8:20 PM EST
I love Jimmy Nielsen a little bit right now.
Actually, I’ve always liked the Sporting KC goalkeeper. He’s clearly on tops of things as the heady guardian of goal at Sporting Park. And he’s a pleasant fellow, too; I’ve spoken to him a couple of different times and he always seems to have a good attitude.
Beyond all that, Nielsen is speaking the truth about something that just happened around the Sporting KC ground.
We’ve heard the occasional lament from the SKC players or from coach Peter Vermes about how teams won’t come out and play, especially not at the team’s suburban Kansas City ground.
Well, too bad. Find a way around it. Besides, Kansas City has periodically played a little further back on the road, and they really cannot have it two ways.
So, I was heartened to see what Nielsen said about last week’s 3-2 loss to the rising Portland Timbers.
“We’ve been begging for teams to come here and come at us. They did, and we didn’t have an answer for it.”
By the way, no one else around Sporting Park was making excuses. In the linked piece, Graham Zusi and Chance Myers essentially said that Portland was better last Saturday night, and that was that.
- WATCH: Premier League live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 27 0
- Odell Beckham Jr. appears on TV show in England, reveals former dream was to be a pro soccer player 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Everton, Man United, Man City, Stoke 0
- Watching a UEFA Champions League game with US star Geoff Cameron 0
- WATCH: PST Extra previews Liverpool vs. Manchester City 0
- Jose Mourinho reveals love for League Cup ahead of Chelsea’s final vs. Tottenham 0