Apr 30, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
I love Jimmy Nielsen a little bit right now.
Actually, I’ve always liked the Sporting KC goalkeeper. He’s clearly on tops of things as the heady guardian of goal at Sporting Park. And he’s a pleasant fellow, too; I’ve spoken to him a couple of different times and he always seems to have a good attitude.
Beyond all that, Nielsen is speaking the truth about something that just happened around the Sporting KC ground.
We’ve heard the occasional lament from the SKC players or from coach Peter Vermes about how teams won’t come out and play, especially not at the team’s suburban Kansas City ground.
Well, too bad. Find a way around it. Besides, Kansas City has periodically played a little further back on the road, and they really cannot have it two ways.
So, I was heartened to see what Nielsen said about last week’s 3-2 loss to the rising Portland Timbers.
“We’ve been begging for teams to come here and come at us. They did, and we didn’t have an answer for it.”
By the way, no one else around Sporting Park was making excuses. In the linked piece, Graham Zusi and Chance Myers essentially said that Portland was better last Saturday night, and that was that.
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 1
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 4
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 3