Apr 30, 2013, 4:04 PM EST
The Houston Dynamo are making a habit of this, cleverly linking a player transfer to a home match.
They did it with Bolton after that English club became the new home for Stuart Holden, who made his pro bones in South Texas. In fact, when the clubs met in 2011, that was the first European opposition Houston had ever faced in an official friendly.
Now the Dynamo has done the same with Stoke City, home to yet another prominent ex-Dynamo man. Geoff Cameron (pictured) is a regular along the back line for manager Tony Pulis’ and his Potters. (His Potters, by the way, appear to be out of relegation danger.)
The match is part of the Dynamo Charities Cup series; past opposition has included Spain’s Valencia, El Salvador’s Club Deportivo Aguila and Mexico’s CF Monterrey (in addition to Bolton, of course.)
We’ve already seen quite a few of these international summer friendlies lined up; look for even more to be announced in May, with most being set for the last 10 days in July and the first few days of August.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park