May 1, 2013, 3:58 PM EST
News out of Utah today is bad news if you’re a Real Salt Lake fan, but potentially terrible news for Costa Rica’s ongoing bid to reach the 2014 World Cup.
The Deseret News reports today that Alvaro Saborio’s quad injury will keep the Costa Rican international sidelined for perhaps several weeks. He suffered the injury in practice late last week and missed Saturday’s loss to the LA Galaxy.
(So, for that set who believes Saborio is over-valued because “all he does is score goals,” well, here you go. We talked about this previously.)
The subplot here (or the main plot line, perhaps, if Saborio’s time in the treatment room goes beyond three or four weeks) is what impact this has on June qualifiers. June is huge, with all six nations involved in final round qualifying set to play three times.
Costa Rica hosts Honduras on June 7, visits Mexico four nights later and then hosts Panama on June 18. (The complete CONCACAF final round schedule is here.)
The quad injury isn’t likely to extend into June. But will the fourth-year MLS man be fit and sharp?
Along with Panama’s Blas Perez, Mexico’s Javier “Chicharito” Hernadez and perhaps Clint Dempsey, Saborio is among the region’s top marksman still involved in the World Cup chase. Saborio has seven goals in 2014 qualifying, second only to Perez (9 goals) among active strikers.
The Ticos are currently tied for second along with the United States and Honduras in the six-team “Hexagonal.”
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season