Wednesday’s quotables: Barcelona, Bayern’s reactions to Wednesday’s result

May 1, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT

Barcelona v FC Bayern Muenchen - UEFA Champions League Semi Final: Second Leg Getty Images

All quotes are from UEFA.com unless otherwise noted.

I think it was clearly noticeable that my team entered this game extremely focussed. We played great right from the start. However, there is no denying it – Barcelona is a different team without [Lionel] Messi. Still, I’m sure no one expected us to win 7-0 on aggregate.” – Jupp Heynckes, Bayern coach

“I know Spanish football very well, especially Barcelona. I know the way they like to play and their philosophy. My team understood our tactical approach very well and they executed it perfectly. Dortmund deserve to be in the final, as they are playing a great season as well. Sure, it’s a small surprise that they reached the final. I obviously hope that we can be successful in Wembley.” – Jupp Heynckes, Bayern coach

I’m sure we’ll celebrate with a few beers tonight. It’s not taken for granted to beat Barcelona on their home ground 3-0. But I’ve always said that we have special characters in our squad and that we are capable of great things.” – Philipp Lahm, Bayern captain

Maybe you are right and this is one of our worst nights. The truth is that it isn’t pleasant living through a situation like this. In the first half we really tried but when they scored the first we were left feeling down. We have to congratulate Bayern who were superior.” – Gerard Piqué, Barcelona defender

What we must look to do now is to close out the Liga and start to think about next season. The fact that Lionel Messi, the best player in the world, did not play was a factor but I do not think his participation tonight would have changed things all that much.” – Gerard Piqué, Barcelona defender

“We would have taken the risk of playing Leo at the end if we’d still have had options to qualify.” – Tito Vilanova, Barcelona coach, via @barcastuff

We knew exactly how to play against Barcelona both in the first and second legs. When I came to Bayern one of my objectives was to win trophies. We have won one and are now into two finals. The truth is we weren’t expecting Lionel Messi to be absent so when we saw his name wasn’t in the starting lineup we breathed a slight sigh of relief.” – Javi Martínez, Bayern midfielder

I don’t know if German football is now going through a better phase than the Spanish game. I only know that in Germany they are doing things well; the stadiums are always full. The Bundesliga needs to continue what they are doing. I’m not sure whether it is the best [league] but I’m sure it is among the three best.” – Javi Martínez, Bayern midfielder

I think it is a terrific performance, it is a little bit of history. If we perform like this, against a team who have dominated Europe for the past five years, who have so much quality, it is amazing.” -Arjen Robben, Bayern winger

[The final] is going to be a big one. Dortmund have proved over last two to three years they are a very good team. It will be decided on very small details.” -Arjen Robben, Bayern winger

The most important thing is we play as a team, not only going forward but defensively. We are very organised, and do our jobs, and the forwards work hard and work backwards. If you want to achieve something and have results and win competitions at a high level you have to defend as a team.” – Arjen Robben, Bayern winger

I would like to congratulate Bayern because they were clearly better than us and deserve to be in the final. We lost the tie in Munich. Obviously Lionel Messi’s absence was felt but the rest of the players stood up to the challenge. I am proud of the squad, the technical staff and the fans.” – Sandro Rossell, Barcelona President

“I think that Bayern are currently the strongest team in Europe and that they will win the final, although in football you never know. I don’t think that Spanish teams did all that badly in the competition this season. Now we must wait for next season and see what happens.” – Sandro Rossell, Barcelona President

“It’s not about a lack of motivation. We played against a great team, Bayern were very solid, and opponents know us better each time.” – Cesc Fabreags, Barcelona midfielder, via @barcastuff

“Madrid also being eliminated changes something? No, we look at ourselves. Madrid winning or losing, you feel as bad after a loss.” Gerard Pique, Barcelona defender, via @barcastuff

“If my answers seemingly don’t make any sense, let me apologies right away, I’ve had a beer on an empty stomach.” – Thomas Muller, Bayern attacker, via @normusings

Latest Posts
  1. DaMarcus Beasley, introduced in Houston: I see myself as a left back

Jul 24, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT

DaMarcus Beasley

Introduced to the media in Houston, Beasley said he’s move on from midfield.

2. Wenger talks Zelalem, gets taste of U.S. obsession for potential international

Jul 24, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT

Wenger Getty Images

With Wenger interview, SI had to get Zelalem out of the way first.

3. Henry, on Suárez sale: ‘We needed more depth’

Jul 24, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT

BRITAIN-US-FBL-ENG-PR-LIVERPOOL Getty Images

Reds’ owner does not want a repeat of last year’s weaknesses.

4. Barclays Premier League LIVE: Select U.S. theaters to show games during the 2014-15 season

Jul 24, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT

Premier League logo

NBC Sports and Fathom Events are taking Premier League soccer to the big screen.

5. 11 Things From AC Milan’s Training Session in New York

Jul 24, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT

mario-balotelli-cosmos-1000

Balotelli, Honda, Muntari, and more from the Rossoneri’s N.Y. training.

6. Jorge Luis Pinto will not return as Costa Rica head coach

Jul 24, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT

jorge_luis_pinto AP

Pinto will depart after failing to come to new terms with the federation.

7. Everton adds 21-year-old Bosnian midfielder Muhamed Besic

Jul 24, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT

muhamed_besic AP

After appearing three times at Brazil 2014, Besic is set to add depth behind Gareth Barry and James McCarthy.

8. Serbian club FK Jagodina set to sign Freddy Adu

Jul 24, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT

Credit: Blackpool Gazette Credit: Blackpool Gazette

Adu close to joining the 10th club in his 11-year career.

9. U.S. prospect Rubin suffers broken nose, concussion with Utrecht

Jul 24, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT

rubio rubin

After seeing time with the senior squad, 18-year-old prospect will be sidelined indefinitely.

10. WATCH: Radamel Falcao’s batting cage cuts send pitcher diving

Jul 24, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 2.45.37 PM

The Colombian striker takes a few hacks before AS Monaco’s friendly in Miami against Atletico National.

11. Andy Carroll’s out a week, or four months (depending on who you trust)

Jul 24, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

article-2704570-1FCE5BED00000578-747_634x382 Getty Images

Limited to just 16 matches last year after his big transfer from Liverpool to West Ham, Carroll is battling another ailment this season.

12. Jay DeMerit’s retirement letter is as grateful, humble and classy as you’d expect

Jul 24, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT

South Africa Soccer WCup US Algeria AP

The rags-to-riches defender steps away from the pitch, at least as a player, while reflecting on his career journey from North America to Europe and back.

13. EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United’s new signing Ander Herrera focused on success

Jul 24, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT

Manchester United v Los Angeles Galaxy AP

Herrera chats exclusively to PST: “If we are a humble team and we work hard, we will achieve our objectives and we will win trophies.”

14. Son of Mexican national teamer says he’ll represent United States

Jul 24, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT

Twitter.com/ferarceJr Twitter.com/ferarceJr

His dad played for El Tri, but California-born Fernando Arce Jr says his U-20 bow with the States makes him an American player “forever”

15. Premier League on tour, Weds roundup: Five play, only Liverpool loses

Jul 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

Manchester City v Sporting Kansas City Getty Images

Aston Villa, Manchester United and Manchester City all cruised, while Spurs had to find a late winner after coughing up a two-goal lead.

16. Serbian boss: Freddy Adu sought by Europa, UCL clubs in Serbia, Cyprus

Jul 24, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT

150px-FK_Jagodina_Emblem

Goran Milanovic is hoping the former American prodigy chooses to revitalize his career with FK Jagodina in the Serbian top flight.

17. Report: Jay DeMerit set to call it a career; ‘Caps to get relief

Jul 24, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

Colorado Rapids v Vancouver Whitecaps FC Getty Images

One of the best stories is United States men’s soccer history is about to move past the “playing career” chapter.

18. Where does Frank Lampard’s signing rank in MLS history of mega-deals?

Jul 24, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT

Frank Lampard

How big of a deal is the Chelsea legend signing for New York City FC? It’s up there.

19. Frank Lampard delighted to sign for New York City FC, start MLS adventure

Jul 24, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT

Source: New York City FC Source: New York City FC

Lampard: “I want to test myself, carry on challenging myself, I want to be that leader and that person on and off the pitch that can make things happen for this club.”