May 2, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
One week after triggering anxiety over Gareth Bale’s possible departure from Tottenham this summer, manager Andre Villas-Boas has back-tracked claiming he would be “extremely surprised” if the Welsh winger left the club.
Following quickly on the heels of Bale’s impressive coup of the Football Writers’ Association Player of the Year Award, Villas-Boas claimed Thursday that the player would remain at White Hart Lane next season, regardless of whether Spurs qualify for the Champions League. The manager’s announcement set straight statements he made last week that Bale might leave the club if a Top 4 finish isn’t achieved.
“The information that I have from the club, which was mistakenly written about last week, is that the player is here to remain, independent of the objectives of Champions League qualification being achieved or not,” Villas-Boas said. He continued, “I would be extremely surprised (if he left). . . . In football anything can happen. It’s impossible to predict, but this is the assurance I have had from the club.”
With Thursday’s announcement of Bale’s FWA honors – adding to the Professional Footballers’ Association double he snapped up earlier in the week – Villas-Boas admitted that the accolades have sparked recognition from both interested clubs and media. But the Portuguese insisted that the attention only underlined the importance of the club needing “to move forward by holding onto its best players.”
Earlier in the week Real Madrid sporting director Zinedine Zidane explained that Tottenham could command £40-£60m for the Welshman’s services and that while only three or four teams in the world “can pay that sort of transfer fee and it won’t put them off.”
But Villas-Boas now rubbishes such insinuations claiming, “[w]hatever price tag the player has doesn’t matter to us because he’s our player.” And apparently, the manager intends to keep it that way. “He’s a player we have to hold onto for the remaining seasons to make sure that we reach our objectives and continue to progress as a club.”
While Villas-Boas claims that he’s been given assurances by the club, he admits that anything can happen in football and “[i]t is impossible to predict.”
When it comes to this situation, there are two things that are impossible to predict. First is how Spurs chairman Daniel Levy reacts when he is presented with an offer. Sure, he wants to build a squad around Bale. But when £60m is put in front of him things begin to change. With that kind of money Levy could drastically hedge his club’s liability and increase its productivity by adding 2-3 world class players while still having some money left in the bank.
The second thing that’s impossible to predict is how Bale himself will react when the likes of Real Madrid and Bayern Munich come calling. No matter how much of a home-body the 23 year old claims to be, the likelihood of raising domestic and Champions League trophies is much higher at Madrid or Munich than at White Hart Lane. And then factor the possibility of being able to do that while making double the money and things start getting real. Like, life-altering real.
Are you still sitting there thinking that forcing a transfer is beyond Bale?
Don’t make me laugh. Professional football is not a game, it’s just a business. Deal with it as you will.
- Real Madrid’s Perez says De Gea move failed because Manchester United lacks transfer “experience” 4
- Preview: USMNT to face Peru in tune-up for CONCACAF playoff vs. Mexico 0
- Three things we learned from USA U-23’s defeat vs. England U-21 0
- If you’ve ever criticized Jurgen Klinsmann or his USMNT, you don’t understand soccer 33
- How will USMNT line up in friendly vs. Peru? 8
- VIDEO: PST Extra analyzes how Deadline Day played out across the Premier League 0