May 2, 2013, 8:10 PM EST
There is no question that George John is having an outstanding season with FC Dallas, a
significant hugely massive part of the reason Schellas Hyndman’s team is atop the league.
Hyndman says in this story John is “right on the edge” of the national team and that playing in MLS, nearer to Klinsmann, than others playing abroad or in Mexico, can only increase the big center back’s chances.
There are two problems for John (pictured, on the left).
First, he hasn’t been part of the camps or the call-ups. John did get summoned back in December of 2011 as Klinsmann arranged his initial winter camp for the following month. But a loan deal to West Ham emerged, which meant John needed to back out of the camp. That was probably the right decision, even if it didn’t lead to an outright purchase.
But as Klinsmann has emphasized getting players into camps to deliver the messages that, he hopes, will nudge the program off its current plateau, that choice probably dented John’s standing in the national team ordering. It’s nobody’s fault; it just is what it is.
The other issue is that center back is a position of relative strength now. In front of John are Omar Gonzalez, Geoff Cameron, Matt Besler and Clarence Goodson, plus Maurice Edu in a pinch and possibly even Michael Orozco Fiscal and Carlos Bocanegra.
All that said, the Gold Cup is coming up; it seems not so far-fetched that John would pop up on that roster.
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 1
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 5
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014