May 2, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
There is no question that George John is having an outstanding season with FC Dallas, a
significant hugely massive part of the reason Schellas Hyndman’s team is atop the league.
Hyndman says in this story John is “right on the edge” of the national team and that playing in MLS, nearer to Klinsmann, than others playing abroad or in Mexico, can only increase the big center back’s chances.
There are two problems for John (pictured, on the left).
First, he hasn’t been part of the camps or the call-ups. John did get summoned back in December of 2011 as Klinsmann arranged his initial winter camp for the following month. But a loan deal to West Ham emerged, which meant John needed to back out of the camp. That was probably the right decision, even if it didn’t lead to an outright purchase.
But as Klinsmann has emphasized getting players into camps to deliver the messages that, he hopes, will nudge the program off its current plateau, that choice probably dented John’s standing in the national team ordering. It’s nobody’s fault; it just is what it is.
The other issue is that center back is a position of relative strength now. In front of John are Omar Gonzalez, Geoff Cameron, Matt Besler and Clarence Goodson, plus Maurice Edu in a pinch and possibly even Michael Orozco Fiscal and Carlos Bocanegra.
All that said, the Gold Cup is coming up; it seems not so far-fetched that John would pop up on that roster.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season
- What Moyes Really Meant by Asking Fans for More Time at Man United
- Manchester United Set to Sign Record $1 Billion Sponsorship Deal with Nike
- Will Johnson: We Weren't All Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro