May 2, 2013, 9:27 AM EDT
Liverpool has unveiled it’s new home kit for the 2013-14 season, which manufacturer Warrior describes as a “modern take on the kit worn by Liverpool’s 1984 European Cup-winning team.”
The strip is a smart, retro-styled design featuring a slightly bolder red, imbedded red stripes, a non-fold collar and white trimmings on the sleeves and neckline. As much as it pains this Evertonian to admit, it’s a very sharp looking design and a huge step up from the semi-heinous, non-football feel of the 2012-13 kit.
Warrior elaborated on the design over Twitter, noting the strip was “[i]nspired by the kit worn by @LFC legends Kennedy, Rush and more, bold design features define the new look.” Legend of the Kop, Steven Gerrard, seems impressed by it, noting “[i]t will certainly spark many happy memories of Liverpool’s famous fourth European Cup win.”
Although Warrior’s press release only revealed the home kit, rumors have it that this dandy little piece below will soon be announced as the away strip.
After going retro for the home shirt, Warrior turned progressive for the away strip using an off-white base layer, a red outline and an argyle fade that evokes comparisons to the design Sporting Kansas City revealed last week.
While more likely to divide opinion than the red design, Liverpool’s away shirt is punchy and original without being over the top, making it, for my money, a definite improvement on this season’s drab black design.
- WATCH: Every Premier League game live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 4 0
- Watch Live: Newcastle United vs. Arsenal (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Wolfsburg sporting director: “De Bruyne is off to Manchester City” 0
- Report: Manchester United planning massive $112 million bid for Arjen Robben 6
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Home advantage for heavyweights – Week 4 2
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 4 0