May 2, 2013, 9:27 AM EST
Liverpool has unveiled it’s new home kit for the 2013-14 season, which manufacturer Warrior describes as a “modern take on the kit worn by Liverpool’s 1984 European Cup-winning team.”
The strip is a smart, retro-styled design featuring a slightly bolder red, imbedded red stripes, a non-fold collar and white trimmings on the sleeves and neckline. As much as it pains this Evertonian to admit, it’s a very sharp looking design and a huge step up from the semi-heinous, non-football feel of the 2012-13 kit.
Warrior elaborated on the design over Twitter, noting the strip was “[i]nspired by the kit worn by @LFC legends Kennedy, Rush and more, bold design features define the new look.” Legend of the Kop, Steven Gerrard, seems impressed by it, noting “[i]t will certainly spark many happy memories of Liverpool’s famous fourth European Cup win.”
Although Warrior’s press release only revealed the home kit, rumors have it that this dandy little piece below will soon be announced as the away strip.
After going retro for the home shirt, Warrior turned progressive for the away strip using an off-white base layer, a red outline and an argyle fade that evokes comparisons to the design Sporting Kansas City revealed last week.
While more likely to divide opinion than the red design, Liverpool’s away shirt is punchy and original without being over the top, making it, for my money, a definite improvement on this season’s drab black design.
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 3
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 2
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 3
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint