May 2, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
In case anyone was worried that the 2014 World Cup would come and go without introduction of an irritating noise maker:
Worry no more! It looks like we have a winner. Which might make many fans of the global game the “loser.” Because while a lot of folks didn’t mind the vuvuzela noise makers that got so much media pop during South Africa 2010, a lot of viewers found them every bit as irritating as rash in the privates.
Brazil, an expansive land that has supplied the world with samba beats, Carnival, the dazzling beaches of Rio and beauty of the rainforests, not to mention so much good spirited soccer, now gives us the “caxirola.”
Why do I get the feeling that so many fans will want to give it the heck back?
It’s a percussion instrument, so the sound of the 2014 World Cup will be more “beat” than “buzz,” the droning sound of the vuvuzela.
Said Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff: ”I am convinced that the caxirola is not only compatible with football, but it is also a symbol of our country’s huge capacity to offer a much better instrument that the vuvuzela.”
We’ll see. But clearly some Brazilian fans aren’t so enamored with these “instruments.” Either that or they simply prefer to employ them as convenient objects of low-level destruction, because a bunch carixola were thrown onto the field at a match Monday in Brazil. Video is included in that link.
We can probably mark that down as a “less than impressive debut.”
Here’s an early look. (Bonus from the video, there’s a dude explaining about the caxirola while wearing a brilliantly wacky hat, like a giant white rooster had attached itself to his head! His name, by the way, is Carlinhos Brown, a Brazilian artist.)
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 6
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 4
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)