May 2, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT
There will come a day when Jack McInerney talk is not virtually dominating this blog. Promise!
There will be a time when he’s not named our Player of the Week (as last week). Or when he’s not all over our MLS Team of the Week. Or when we aren’t comparing his prodigious rate of goal scoring to the higher-profile, higher-paid under achievers of MLS scoring. Or when we aren’t building draft retrospectives around him.
But that day is not today. Young McInerney was named MLS Player of the Month for April.
“Jack Mac,” 20, had four goals in four matches during the month. Three of his goals this year have been game-winners for the Union.
By the way, along with Mike Magee, George John and Dax McCarty and others, we will be front and center in advocacy of McInerney to land on Jurgen Klinsmanns’s Gold Cup squad this summer. Remember, in order to give his “A Team” a proper break, Klinsmann’s Gold Cup roster in July will be completely different than the team of first-choices that will carry the World Cup qualifying effort in June.
- Lessons from 2010 say U.S. squad as much about opportunity, circumstances as youth 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2
- U.S. roster for Czech Republic: Quick look at some of the newer names 4
- Plenty of surprises in US national team roster for Czech Republic friendly 1
- Analysis: Arsenal, Manchester City handed tough Champions League draw 1
- Full draw: European giants collide as UEFA Champions League groups set 7