May 3, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
AC Milan, in a crucial time in their season, have lost creative central midfielder Riccardo Montolivo to a thigh injury.
Milan confirmed on their official website, “Tests have revealed that Riccardo Montolivo has a problem with his right biceps femoris muscle. Further tests will be carried out to determine the extent of the problem.”
The problem reportedly is a tear, and although it shouldn’t be an issue for next season, it is enough to keep him out the remaining four matches of the season. This comes as a huge blow as Milan are feverishly trying to hold off Fiorentina for the final Champions League spot in Serie A.
Currently in third position, Milan sit on 62 points, just 1 point ahead of Fiorentina.
Milan have struggled all season to reach their high expectations, stuck in a transitional period. They barely made it out of the Champions League group stage by 1 point, and then were torched by Barcelona in the first knockout round, failing to hold on to a 2-0 first leg lead.
The injury could see Kevin Prince-Boateng moved back to the central midfield role from the wing, where he’s been playing most of the season. Sulley Muntari, who has just made 12 league appearances for Milan, could also see additional time in the crucial last 4 matches.
AC Milan host Torino Sunday, and then finish the year against Pescara, Roma, and Siena.
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 15 0
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 8
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (38)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (22)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (19)