May 3, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
AC Milan, in a crucial time in their season, have lost creative central midfielder Riccardo Montolivo to a thigh injury.
Milan confirmed on their official website, “Tests have revealed that Riccardo Montolivo has a problem with his right biceps femoris muscle. Further tests will be carried out to determine the extent of the problem.”
The problem reportedly is a tear, and although it shouldn’t be an issue for next season, it is enough to keep him out the remaining four matches of the season. This comes as a huge blow as Milan are feverishly trying to hold off Fiorentina for the final Champions League spot in Serie A.
Currently in third position, Milan sit on 62 points, just 1 point ahead of Fiorentina.
Milan have struggled all season to reach their high expectations, stuck in a transitional period. They barely made it out of the Champions League group stage by 1 point, and then were torched by Barcelona in the first knockout round, failing to hold on to a 2-0 first leg lead.
The injury could see Kevin Prince-Boateng moved back to the central midfield role from the wing, where he’s been playing most of the season. Sulley Muntari, who has just made 12 league appearances for Milan, could also see additional time in the crucial last 4 matches.
AC Milan host Torino Sunday, and then finish the year against Pescara, Roma, and Siena.
- Reports: Arsenal to fork over $26 mil for Manchester United’s Welbeck 3
- Done Deal: Daley Blind is officially a member of Manchester United 1
- Stoke want to keep USA’s Geoff Cameron, Southampton in the hunt 0
- Tottenham Hotspur offer $26 million plus Andros Townsend for Jay Rodriguez 2
- Julian Green completes loan move to Hamburg 0
- Premier League Playback – Deadline Day madness, Chelsea’s ‘killers,’ Liverpool’s fluid-three 2