May 3, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Sylvain Distin and Stewart Downing are adding some spice to an already contentious rivalry in anticipation of Liverpool and Everton’s meeting at Anfield tomorrow.
With Everton fighting hard for a European place, Toffees defender Distin began the tiff by proclaiming on Twitter this morning, “My red followers been very quiet this season. I wonder why. Now they beg me for a mistake to make them feel better. I’m feeling sad for them.”
Dystin’s tease referred back to when he gifted Luis Suarez a goal in the reverse fixture at Goodison Park by underhitting a backpass. The mistake was part of the 2-2 draw in that match.
With the first jab thrown, the Liverpool winger didn’t offer a direct response but remained confident, saying to ESPN, “The fact that they haven’t won at Anfield for so long has to play on their minds, I am sure David Moyes will get right amongst them. He must be desperate to beat Liverpool. But we don’t want that record to end. We did really well against Everton in the three games last season and we would have won at Goodison earlier this season but for Luis Suarez’s goal being wrongly disallowed. We have to be ready and make sure we start well. It will be a good test for us and it will be tight with battles all over the pitch, but we’re confident we can get another win.”
Everton currently sit in 6th position in the Barclays Premier League table, 5 points above 7th placed Liverpool. A win for the visitors could bump them into a tie for 5th with Spurs, although they’d most likely still be behind on goal differential and Spurs have a game in hand. A 5th place finish would grant Everton a place in next season’s Europa League. 4th place’s Champions League prize seems a bit out of reach, with Arsenal sitting 5 points ahead of the Toffees in that spot.
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 0
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 1
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0