May 3, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
Sylvain Distin and Stewart Downing are adding some spice to an already contentious rivalry in anticipation of Liverpool and Everton’s meeting at Anfield tomorrow.
With Everton fighting hard for a European place, Toffees defender Distin began the tiff by proclaiming on Twitter this morning, “My red followers been very quiet this season. I wonder why. Now they beg me for a mistake to make them feel better. I’m feeling sad for them.”
Dystin’s tease referred back to when he gifted Luis Suarez a goal in the reverse fixture at Goodison Park by underhitting a backpass. The mistake was part of the 2-2 draw in that match.
With the first jab thrown, the Liverpool winger didn’t offer a direct response but remained confident, saying to ESPN, “The fact that they haven’t won at Anfield for so long has to play on their minds, I am sure David Moyes will get right amongst them. He must be desperate to beat Liverpool. But we don’t want that record to end. We did really well against Everton in the three games last season and we would have won at Goodison earlier this season but for Luis Suarez’s goal being wrongly disallowed. We have to be ready and make sure we start well. It will be a good test for us and it will be tight with battles all over the pitch, but we’re confident we can get another win.”
Everton currently sit in 6th position in the Barclays Premier League table, 5 points above 7th placed Liverpool. A win for the visitors could bump them into a tie for 5th with Spurs, although they’d most likely still be behind on goal differential and Spurs have a game in hand. A 5th place finish would grant Everton a place in next season’s Europa League. 4th place’s Champions League prize seems a bit out of reach, with Arsenal sitting 5 points ahead of the Toffees in that spot.
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 8
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues 19
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (38)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (22)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)