May 3, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
After Tottenham Hotspur star Gareth Bale completed his treble of major English accolades with the FWA Footballer of the Year award, rumors flew that he could be exiting White Hart Lane for a massive sum of money.
Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas has been trying desperately to insist Bale will be staying, but it’s a tall task for him to ward off Europe’s top clubs when they come shaking large wads of cash.
After the PFA ceremony, Villas-Boas was quoted with saying he would be “extremely surprised” if Bale were to exit this summer “because this is the assurance I have.” In what can most likely be attributed to the manager doing his best to keep his most prized players at the club, he may not be so optimistic now.
Villas-Boas has now said the future of his star winger is “out of my control,” showing the gaffer’s relative inability to have any say in what happens this summer. As much as he would love to retain the services of the League’s best player this season, ultimately he is now publicly resigned to any possibility. Such a public admission shows what could end up being an inevitable result.
Former French star and current Real Madrid director of football Zinedine Zidane recently said he believes even a £60 million price tag wouldn’t deter top clubs from making an attempt at snatching him away from the current grasp of White Hart Lane. Zidane reasoned, “After the season he has just had – and still being so young of course Gareth Bale is going to be one of the most expensive players in the world if he decides to move.”
Whether the 23-year old superstar remains loyal to Spurs or heads out abroad in search of silverware, he is lighting the soccer world on fire – and will almost certainly become fantastically rich in the process.
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 0
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 9
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 7
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 5