May 4, 2013, 6:35 PM EST
Columbus’ Federico Higuain is the latest MLS man to register a penalty kick “fail” in the league.
New York’s Luis Robles guessed correctly on the Crew’s second half spot shot, turning away the Argentine attacker’s kick. (Higuain had attempted the ol’ stutter-step approach, which always seems like over-thinking the deal.)
It proved quite costly, too, as New York soon went ahead and stayed ahead in the 1-0 win at Crew Stadium. (Complete highlights later … check back.)
It won’t make Higuain or the Crew fans feel any better, but this is just the latest in a really poor April-May trend. Prepare for this one:
MLS shooters have converted just twice on 9 attempts since March. Compare that lousy conversation rate of 22 percent to the historical conversion average of around 85 percent.
Here are the hits and misses so far in April (followed by Higuain’s miss on video):
- Real Salt Lake’s Alvaro Saborio, saved vs. Colorado
- Chicago’s Chris Rolfe, miss vs. New York
- Dallas’ Kenny Cooper, saved vs. LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan, saved vs. Dallas
- Vancouver’s Camilo Sanvezzo, goal vs. Real Salt Lake
- Colorado’s Deshorn Brown, goal vs. Chivas USA
- Chivas USA’s Jose Correa, saved vs. Colorado
- Chivas USA’s Edgar Mejia, saved vs. Real Salt Lake
Add in a much better March for shooters and MLS men are 9 for 17 overall this year. Here’s the Higuain miss, as Robles comes up big at Crew Stadium:
Mar 7, 2014, 12:12 AM EST
What definitely will not happen in the upcoming Major League Soccer season.
Mar 6, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
Who’s hot and who’s not? It’s all change in the latest PL Power Rankings, as sides shuffle with 10 games to go:
Mar 6, 2014, 7:54 PM EST
The Supporters’ Shield winners could be without Henry, Cahill, and Olave on Saturday in Vancouver.
Mar 6, 2014, 6:39 PM EST
Atlanta will have to stumble to miss out on expansion, with Minneapolis also looking like a favorite to snare on of the league’s next franchises.
Mar 6, 2014, 5:23 PM EST
No. 1 was easy. It’s 2 through 10 that were hard.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:25 PM EST
Azerbaijan, Turkey, and Nigeria will help the U.S. prepare for Brazil.
Mar 6, 2014, 3:18 PM EST
The Black and Red give their newest star the deal Seattle couldn’t.
Mar 6, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
Can the Baggies seal an unlikely double over United? Watch live on NBCSN, Saturday, 7:45 a.m. ET:
Mar 6, 2014, 2:33 PM EST
With the 2014 season just a few days away, here is the full MLS on NBC TV schedule:
Mar 6, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
Southampton’s star man shone for England once again, as many clamber for Lallana to start this summer in Brazil:
Mar 6, 2014, 1:28 PM EST
Injured and unfit to play in the Premier League, what in the world were the Cottagers thinking shelling out a club record $20 million for damaged goods during a relegation battle?
Mar 6, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
Fortunately West Brom is playing United, who have proven themselves capable of dropping the ball against the most measly of opponents.
Jurgen Klinsmann says it would’ve been “half a miracle” if U.S. clicked vs. Ukraine, USMNT missed MLS contingent
Mar 6, 2014, 11:54 AM EST
Remember one thing before analyzing the USA’s defeat to Ukraine… half of the usual squad weren’t available for selection.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:38 AM EST
Arsenal star injured on England duty, after playing on despite suffering early injury:
Mar 6, 2014, 10:27 AM EST
Horror tackle hands Vietnam international defender Tran Dinh Dong record ban:
Mar 6, 2014, 9:40 AM EST
Super Mario set to turn up at Stamford Bridge?
Mar 6, 2014, 8:55 AM EST
Young child runs onto pitch, but instead of being escorted away… the Brazilian national team give him a moment to remember forever:
Mar 6, 2014, 7:37 AM EST
With game time dwindling with the Red Devils, Chicharito may move on:
Mar 6, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Miguel Herrera welcomed his European-based talent back into the team on Wednesday night.
Mar 5, 2014, 11:21 PM EST
Even the passing grades were low as the U.S.’s bubble players failed to impress in Cyprus.
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 2
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 2
- Eddie Johnson got paid: New D.C. United forward signs Designated Player deal 2
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season