May 4, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Did Danny Cruz turn a corner for Philadelphia with two huge goals on Saturday? The book on Philly’s right midfielder has always read something like this:
If the guy could develop than final bit of polished technique in the final third, capturing the ability to supply the shot or cross that is properly chosen and delivered just so, he would immediately be counted among Major League Soccer’s most dangerous wingers. Because the Union man really does insert himself consistently into fantastic positions.
No one works harder, but Cruz can tend to be somewhat wasteful once he gets into those great spots.
Well, he wasn’t one bit wasteful in the second half Saturday with those two big strikes against Seattle.
The Sounders will be happy enough with a 2-2 draw at PPL Park. They were without three key men, including one of the league’s top midfielders, Osvaldo Alonso.
The Sounders might have done even better, perhaps with all three points, but for Cruz’s two second half goals. What he told Heather Mitts on 6abc TV just before leaving the field in Chester on Saturday evening: “There was a lot of work done by everybody else, I just happened to be in the right spots.”
The highlights Saturday from PPL Park.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 1
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 6
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3