May 4, 2013, 8:50 PM EST
It’s not that Chris Wondolowski is having a bad year for the San Jose Earthquakes. He’s just not having a special year – and haven’t we all gotten just a little spoiled by the special stuff that “Wonder Wondo” has delivered with stunning and impressive regularity over the previous three seasons?
Wondolowski has four goals in 10 matches this year for San Jose. It’s a strike rate that most MLS forwards will take – but Wondolowski is no regular MLS man, now is he?
Consider his numbers since becoming a first-choice selection for the Earthquakes in 2010: he hit 61 goals in 90 MLS matches over three seasons. (Wondolowski’s year-by-year statistical breakdown is here.)
A little less production is part of the difference in the Earthquakes’ positioning in 2013. Whereas they ran off with the Supporters Shield last year, topping not just the West but the entire league in points, Frank Yallop’s team currently isn’t even in a playoff spot. San Jose sits sixth in the 9-team West, one place out of post-season grace.
A big hit from some early season injuries are part of that picture, too. So is San Jose’s inability to stay out the “penalty box,” so to speak. Alan Gordon and Steven Lenhart were each suspended for naughtiness in Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Montreal.
San Jose rallied for two late second half goals. So, they’ve still got the rallies in them. This year, however, they are rallying for draws rather than wins.
Another goal or two from Wondolowski could help turn it.
Highlights from Saturday’s 2-2 draw with the Impact at Buck Shaw Stadium:
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes
- Players to Watch: Montreal Impact
- Ireland's Premier Division Season Kicks off