May 4, 2013, 8:50 PM EST
It’s not that Chris Wondolowski is having a bad year for the San Jose Earthquakes. He’s just not having a special year – and haven’t we all gotten just a little spoiled by the special stuff that “Wonder Wondo” has delivered with stunning and impressive regularity over the previous three seasons?
Wondolowski has four goals in 10 matches this year for San Jose. It’s a strike rate that most MLS forwards will take – but Wondolowski is no regular MLS man, now is he?
Consider his numbers since becoming a first-choice selection for the Earthquakes in 2010: he hit 61 goals in 90 MLS matches over three seasons. (Wondolowski’s year-by-year statistical breakdown is here.)
A little less production is part of the difference in the Earthquakes’ positioning in 2013. Whereas they ran off with the Supporters Shield last year, topping not just the West but the entire league in points, Frank Yallop’s team currently isn’t even in a playoff spot. San Jose sits sixth in the 9-team West, one place out of post-season grace.
A big hit from some early season injuries are part of that picture, too. So is San Jose’s inability to stay out the “penalty box,” so to speak. Alan Gordon and Steven Lenhart were each suspended for naughtiness in Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Montreal.
San Jose rallied for two late second half goals. So, they’ve still got the rallies in them. This year, however, they are rallying for draws rather than wins.
Another goal or two from Wondolowski could help turn it.
Highlights from Saturday’s 2-2 draw with the Impact at Buck Shaw Stadium:
- WATCH: Incredible 60-yard pass leads Montreal ouster of Pachuca in CONCACAF Champions League 3
- Tuesday’s Premier League roundup: Saints, Villa win; Hull, Sunderland draw (video) 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: Toronto FC 0
- Aston Villa 2-1 West Bromwich Albion: Late drama hands Sherwood first win (video) 0
- Southampton 1-0 Crystal Palace: Mane’s late goal gets Saints back on track (video) 0
- Update on MLS labor strike: Players Union, league at impasse as situation looks dire 8