May 4, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
I love the way Major League Soccer digital guru Jason Saghini put it on Twitter. Allow me to expand a bit while retaining the spirit:
“Congratulations to Seattle Sounders midfielder Osvaldo Alonso on the birth today of his daughter, his second child! Oh, and also congratulations to the Philadelphia Union for getting to face the Seattle Sounders without Osvaldo Alonso!”
The Union hosts Seattle in just over half an hour at PPL Park outside Philadelphia. The Sounders are coming off an idle weekend and should be well-rested.
What they won’t be is complete, because no one is more important than Alonso to Sigi Schmid’s team. The Cuban-turned-American hasn’t always been at his Ozzie-best in 2013, but don’t read too much into that. He’s still among the best two or three holding midfielders in the league, and probably the best tackler overall.
Sounders 2011 draft pick Servando Carrasco will replace Alonso in the Sounders lineup today.
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 5
- Angel Di Maria wants to leave Real Madrid, rejects new contract 0
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 11
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 2
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 3