May 4, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
I love the way Major League Soccer digital guru Jason Saghini put it on Twitter. Allow me to expand a bit while retaining the spirit:
“Congratulations to Seattle Sounders midfielder Osvaldo Alonso on the birth today of his daughter, his second child! Oh, and also congratulations to the Philadelphia Union for getting to face the Seattle Sounders without Osvaldo Alonso!”
The Union hosts Seattle in just over half an hour at PPL Park outside Philadelphia. The Sounders are coming off an idle weekend and should be well-rested.
What they won’t be is complete, because no one is more important than Alonso to Sigi Schmid’s team. The Cuban-turned-American hasn’t always been at his Ozzie-best in 2013, but don’t read too much into that. He’s still among the best two or three holding midfielders in the league, and probably the best tackler overall.
Sounders 2011 draft pick Servando Carrasco will replace Alonso in the Sounders lineup today.
- Premier League teams on US Soil: Tuesday’s roundup and look ahead 0
- Racial incident against Man City’s Fofana ends U-21 match in Croatia 0
- Sorting through the most recent DaMarcus Beasley-to-MLS reports 1
- Report: Xavi’s move to New York City FC collapses, will remain at Barcelona 2
- Pep Guardiola: For now, Julian Green will remain with Bayern Munich’s first team 6
- Real Madrid sign James Rodriguez for $107 million 6