May 4, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
I love the way Major League Soccer digital guru Jason Saghini put it on Twitter. Allow me to expand a bit while retaining the spirit:
“Congratulations to Seattle Sounders midfielder Osvaldo Alonso on the birth today of his daughter, his second child! Oh, and also congratulations to the Philadelphia Union for getting to face the Seattle Sounders without Osvaldo Alonso!”
The Union hosts Seattle in just over half an hour at PPL Park outside Philadelphia. The Sounders are coming off an idle weekend and should be well-rested.
What they won’t be is complete, because no one is more important than Alonso to Sigi Schmid’s team. The Cuban-turned-American hasn’t always been at his Ozzie-best in 2013, but don’t read too much into that. He’s still among the best two or three holding midfielders in the league, and probably the best tackler overall.
Sounders 2011 draft pick Servando Carrasco will replace Alonso in the Sounders lineup today.
- USMNT vs Switzerland preview: Last time they met, Michael Bradley scored the winner with a full head of hair 0
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 4 0
- NWSL mega deal sends Sydney Leroux Dwyer to WNY for rights to Abby Wambach 1
- Prolific U.S. U-17 striker chooses club home in NASL 2
- How will the USMNT line up against Switzerland? 3
- British exec says England could look towards 2030 World Cup bid 1