May 5, 2013, 6:35 PM EST
Chivas USA goalkeeper Dan Kennedy definitely tripped Sporting Kansas City’s Paulo Nagamura in the 55th minute of the team’s Sunday evening match in the heartland.
Referee Baldomero Toldedo was absolutely correct in pointing to the penalty spot. (Claudio Bieler converted for his second goal of the afternoon, giving Sporting KC a 2-0 lead.)
But a red card? Toledo got that one wrong. (And weren’t we just saying that Toledo probably needed a little break after last week’s unsatisfactory performance with the whistle? Yep, we sure were.)
Nagamura rounds Kennedy, sure enough, but a trailing Chivas USA defender, Joaquin Velasquez, leaves plenty of cover for Toledo. He could point to the spot, issue a yellow (perhaps) and there would likely be few complaints from the home team.
As it was, the penalty kick was going to leave the game out of reach either way. Chivas never had much of a chance in this one; SKC had three goals in 70 minutes, while the visitors still had not put a shot on goal.
The problem is that Kennedy, one of the Goats’ best players, will now miss the Goats’ trip into Portland in a week’s time.
Of course, it was also a bad day for the men in the middle Saturday at PPL Park. Just ask Philadelphia manager John Hackworth. Meanwhile, you be the judge on the telling sequence from Sporting Park.
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season