May 5, 2013, 6:35 PM EST
Chivas USA goalkeeper Dan Kennedy definitely tripped Sporting Kansas City’s Paulo Nagamura in the 55th minute of the team’s Sunday evening match in the heartland.
Referee Baldomero Toldedo was absolutely correct in pointing to the penalty spot. (Claudio Bieler converted for his second goal of the afternoon, giving Sporting KC a 2-0 lead.)
But a red card? Toledo got that one wrong. (And weren’t we just saying that Toledo probably needed a little break after last week’s unsatisfactory performance with the whistle? Yep, we sure were.)
Nagamura rounds Kennedy, sure enough, but a trailing Chivas USA defender, Joaquin Velasquez, leaves plenty of cover for Toledo. He could point to the spot, issue a yellow (perhaps) and there would likely be few complaints from the home team.
As it was, the penalty kick was going to leave the game out of reach either way. Chivas never had much of a chance in this one; SKC had three goals in 70 minutes, while the visitors still had not put a shot on goal.
The problem is that Kennedy, one of the Goats’ best players, will now miss the Goats’ trip into Portland in a week’s time.
Of course, it was also a bad day for the men in the middle Saturday at PPL Park. Just ask Philadelphia manager John Hackworth. Meanwhile, you be the judge on the telling sequence from Sporting Park.
- MLS Cup 2013 Starting Lineups: Wingert, Saborío in; Sporting unchanged 0
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- Premier League Roundup: Upsets galore as Manchester United, Chelsea lose 0
- Jose Mourinho: “We’re in trouble” after Chelsea’s defeat to Stoke 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (40)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (23)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (22)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)