May 5, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
With Bruce Arena’s team, you never really know about injuries.
Things tend to spring up, rather on the curiously unexpected side. Or guys tend to land among the starting 11 before we expect it, as with Omar Gonzalez a year ago.
At least we do know, unfortunately so, that promising young forward Jack McBean is out, having just undergone surgery last week. Otherwise … not so much.
Among the questionables are Carlo Cudicini (injury listed as the vague “leg strain”), Landon Donovan (same), Todd Dunivant (same again, different leg) and Robbie Keane (ankle).
That’s a lot of quality that may or may not be available for tonight’s 11 p.m. ET kickoff at the Home Depot Center. The match, a repeat of the last two MLS Cup finals, right down to the same venue, is on ESPN2.
Not that Arena’s team can’t possible get the job done without his starry stars. A bunch of hungry youngsters showed Real Salt Lake what effort and energy, smartly applied, can accomplish last week in a big win at Rio Tinto. And a match in Utah against Real Salt Lake certainly looks tougher than a home match against Houston.
For everything great we can say about Dominic Kinnear’s club, it hasn’t always been great in recent year when on the road in the regular season. The Dynamo is winless (0-2-1) on the road this year. Kinnear’s team was 8-24-17 in the three previous seasons away from South Texas in league play.
Plus, we do know a bit about the Dynamo lineup, that important midfielder Brad Davis is out, suspended.
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 1
- PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo 0
- Liverpool, Barca target could become youngest capped in Norway history 2
- Americans Abroad Wrap: US teenagers go distance for Fulham, Utrecht 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: Celebrating the Premier League’s return (and a Mickey Rourke encounter) 3