May 5, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
Are we seeing the real Chivas USA reveal itself? Was that fast start in the Jose Luis “El Chelis” Sanchez Sola reign the stuff of smoke and mirrors. Are the Goats turning back into the disheveled lot we all expected them to be prior to a stunning March?
It’s starting to look like it.
Sunday’s battering at Sporting Park outside Kansas City is the latest evidence. In a word for the visitors: “Yuk.”
It finished at 4-0, and the Goats were never really in it. Some shoddy work in the back led to a give-away that SKC turned into a first-half goal. Later, Graham Zusi’s good work in the midfield sprung Paulo Nagamura, who was brought down for a penalty kick and a 2-0 SKC lead. And … well, you get the idea.
The one caveat is that Dan Kennedy should not have been expelled from this one, and three of the goals landed after the Goats’ outstanding ‘keeper walked off. Still, total shots on goals for Chivas USA: zero. Final edge in shots for the home team: 16-3.
The Goats have not won since March. At 3-4-2 they are not sixth in the West, a lot closer to where we all thought they would be when the scrambled egg of a first season under “Chelis” began. We can pick apart anybody’s wins and losses, of course. But if we peel back the cover on Chivas’ trio of Ws this year, they are quite suspicious.
- One win came over FC Dallas in Week 2, before Schellas Hyndman’s team got its midfield sorted out; the visitors from Texas were, simply put, pretty lousy in keeping much shape that day.
- One win came over a Chicago side that was a complete mess then. It was easily the best “W” of the Chelis era, a 4-1 battering delivered on the road at Toyota Park. Credit for seizing opportunity, of course, but Chicago really was in a bad way then. Frank Klopas’ team from Illinois has stabilized a bit since then. Just a bit.
- A 2-1 win over Vancouver wasn’t bad for Chivas. Then again, the Whitecaps are pretty lousy on the road, 0-4-1 this year and 3-26-10 since joining MLS. So there’s that.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:29 PM EST
A referee in Cyprus has come clean, describing an incredibly deep-rooted problem of match-fixing in the country that makes us wonder how prevalent this problem really is.
Mar 3, 2015, 2:35 PM EST
The FA says the finding of “significant new information” has led them to extend the investigation.
Mar 3, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
A massive relegation six-pointer between these two north east rivals. Watch live online, here.
Mar 3, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Can Villa get their first win under Sherwood in this huge Midlands derby? Watch live online, right here.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:50 PM EST
Can Saints get back to winning ways as old boss Pardew brings Palace to town? Watch live online, here.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:33 PM EST
With just over 72 hours to go until the MLS season kicks off, talks between the league and the Players Union still ongoing.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:08 PM EST
The Dynamo have a few new pieces and Owen Coyle is a trailblazer, but things still smell of the failures of last year, and this season looks to be a mountain for the Dynamo to climb.
Mar 3, 2015, 12:05 PM EST
Could the former USMNT head coach move into an executive role for the first time?
Mar 3, 2015, 11:36 AM EST
Which one of Major League Soccer’s new stars will make the biggest impact? There are plenty of familiar faces, but also a few new ones looking to make a name for themselves.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:19 AM EST
He will stay as owner and has appointed his 23-year-old grandson as his successor.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:16 AM EST
It’s going to be a grind, but can the Union make the playoffs? They have the talent.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:09 AM EST
Can Tim Sherwood pick up his first points with Aston Villa on the third try? Midweek Premier League action!
Mar 2, 2015, 11:16 PM EST
It’s been a tough run for Southampton, but it’s not the first bump in the road this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EST
RVDV to SKC? Bild says they’re making their play, and offering lots of cash.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
Reports of racist abuse are up 70 percent, which is actually a good thing, because it’s being reported more than ever before.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:15 PM EST
John Terry knows he’s fighting every year for a new contract at Chelsea, and it’s inspired the best form of his career.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Chicago has only made the playoffs once in the past five seasons, but with some big offseason signings, the Fire could cause problems in the East.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:41 PM EST
Sherwood’s putting all his eggs into Tuesday night’s derby basket, for better or for worse.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:17 PM EST
The title race was minutes from being OVER; it’s still probably over. Tevez’s goal was an absolute beauty.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Last season’s worst team in the West has a new stadium and high hopes for 2015.
- Watch Live: Aston Villa vs. West Bromwich Albion (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Update on MLS labor strike: Players Union, league still at impasse as talks go down to the wire 1
- 2015 MLS Season Preview: Top 10 Newcomers 0
- Tuesday Premier League Preview: New managers square off in Midlands derby 0
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0