May 6, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
MLS Salaries were announced Monday, courtesy of the MLS Players Association.
It’s worth noting that the salaries listed are essentially for reporting purposes, skewed by some technical mumbo-jumbo and not entirely accurate in terms of what they players actually earn. And there are other considerations where “value” is concerned, as in how much salary is being paid by a former team, or scheduled increases ahead, etc.
Still, the numbers represent fairly solid reference points.
So let’s get started by looking at 20 real bargains around MLS (plus a pair of bonus, Super Bargains!):
The Super Bargains!
- Lee Nguyen, New England Revolution, $80,000 guaranteed: The Revs attack is nothing special, but the winger who loves to come inside to create is still the top man around Gillette in terms of breaking down defenses. Nguyen (pictured) would show even better with a higher quality front line in front of him.
- Victor Bernardez, San Jose, $100,000: On many days he is the league’s top center back. “Top center backs” are usually in the $200-$300 range. So, yes, he’s a plum by any measure – but especially at this price.
The Plain ol’ bargain bin Bargains
(price noted is 2013 “guaranteed” compensation; listed in alphabetical order by club):
- Austin Berry, Chicago Fire, $78,000
- Michel, FC Dallas, $81,000
Not a name that many know much about, but the first-year MLS man’s ability to hold the midfield helped has enormously for the current Western Conference leaders.
- Matt Hedges, FC Dallas, $64,500
- Andrew Driver, Houston Dynamo, $95,000
- Matt Besler, Sporting Kansas City, $180,000
That number may look fair for a center back, but it’s getting into bargain territory, at very least, for an elite CB who just elbowed his way into the U.S. national team rotation.
- Claudio Bieler, Sporting Kansas City, $200,000
He’s sharing the league lead in scoring after 10 weeks, so that stands out as a bargain price for a veteran, quality striker.
- Graham Zusi, Sporting Kansas City, $173,000
- Oriol Rosell, Sporting Kansas City, $118,000
An underrated element of the current Eastern Conference co-leaders. Once you consider that both Benny Feilhaber and Bobby Convey (different roles, admittedly) both earn quite a bit more, it’s easier to see how the Spanish veteran, so disciplined, composed and clean in the holding midfield role, is well worth that small patch of cash.
- Omar Gonzalez, L.A. Galaxy, $282,000
I will go to my grave insisting he was the most important element – indeed, the one absolutely indispensable element – in last year’s championship defense. He was definitely the MVP of MLS Cup 2013. None of that happened without Gonzalez, so even at that relatively high number, he’s a steal.
- Patrice Bernier, Montreal Impact, $162,000
For the league’s best holding midfielder? C’mon! He’s probably the most important man in Impact colors, and the center of the park around Stade Saputo never looks quite the same without him.
- Jeb Brovsky, Montreal Impact, $84,000
- Jose Goncalves, New England Revolution, $104,000
- Fabian Espindola, New York Red Bulls, $150,000
- Keon Daniel, Philadelphia Union, $80,000
- Sebastien Velasquez, Real Salt Lake, $46,000
Velasquez, 22, is at that number due to his age. Keep at it, young man, and you won’t be making those apprentice wages much longer.
- Osvaldo Alonso, Seattle Sounders, $210,000
- DeAndre Yedlin, Seattle Sounders, $53,000
Anyone else see the Sounders rookie, now solidly in place as the starting right back at CenturyLink Field, getting a contract re-do this year?
- Rafael Baca, San Jose Earthquakes, $49,000
- Steven Beitashour, San Jose Earthquakes, $49,000
- Joe Bendik, Toronto FC, $46,000
Quality goalkeepers can be had for less than 100K in MLS; still this price is pretty ridiculous for the man who is keeping Stefan Frei on the bench.
- Report: Juan Agudelo close to signing with his former MLS team, New England Revolution 0
- Head of Dutch FA, Michael van Praag, will challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency 0
- Newcastle United name John Carver head coach until end of 2014-15 season 0
- Transfer ban for Real Madrid? Probe launched after signing of Venezuelan kids 3
- Transfer rumor roundup: Ings to Tottenham Hotspur, Busquets to Manchester United 0
- Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham 0