May 6, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Bayer Leverkusen’s chief Wolfgang Holzhauser has told German publication Kicker that he believes his forward Andre Schürrle has either already signed a pre-contract agreement with Chelsea, or he will very shortly.
However, he says the clubs have yet to agree on a fee, although Chelsea has submitted a formal offer.
“Andre Schürrle has probably signed a pre-contract deal with Chelsea,” Holzhauser said. “It all depends on whether we let him go. We have received a concrete offer for a fee which we are considering.”
His current contract with Leverkusen doesn’t expire until the end of the 2016 season.
This isn’t the beginning of Chelsea’s interest in the 22-year old German. Current Chelsea winger and fellow German international Marko Marin told German publication Sport Bild a week ago, “Andre would be a good alternative for Chelsea, the club moved to sign him last year already.”
It will be interesting to see if the impending managerial change at Stamford Bridge has any effect on the transfer, but at the moment it seems all systems are go on a move that could cost Chelsea as much as £20 million ($31 million).
Schürrle has scored 11 Bundesliga goals this season and chipped in 6 assists in 32 matches, as he led the Löwen to a solid third place finish in the German table.
Leverkusen bought Schürrle for over €8 million ($10.9 million) from FSV Mainz in January of 2011.
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs