May 6, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
Bayer Leverkusen’s chief Wolfgang Holzhauser has told German publication Kicker that he believes his forward Andre Schürrle has either already signed a pre-contract agreement with Chelsea, or he will very shortly.
However, he says the clubs have yet to agree on a fee, although Chelsea has submitted a formal offer.
“Andre Schürrle has probably signed a pre-contract deal with Chelsea,” Holzhauser said. “It all depends on whether we let him go. We have received a concrete offer for a fee which we are considering.”
His current contract with Leverkusen doesn’t expire until the end of the 2016 season.
This isn’t the beginning of Chelsea’s interest in the 22-year old German. Current Chelsea winger and fellow German international Marko Marin told German publication Sport Bild a week ago, “Andre would be a good alternative for Chelsea, the club moved to sign him last year already.”
It will be interesting to see if the impending managerial change at Stamford Bridge has any effect on the transfer, but at the moment it seems all systems are go on a move that could cost Chelsea as much as £20 million ($31 million).
Schürrle has scored 11 Bundesliga goals this season and chipped in 6 assists in 32 matches, as he led the Löwen to a solid third place finish in the German table.
Leverkusen bought Schürrle for over €8 million ($10.9 million) from FSV Mainz in January of 2011.
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 1
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 1
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)