May 6, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
QPR’s on-loan Englishman Joey Barton was handed a 2-match suspended ban by the French National Ethics Committee for the comments he made on Twitter about Paris Saint-Germain defender Thiago Silva last month.
Barton, on loan at France’s Olympique de Marseille, called Silva an “overweight ladyboy” among other insulting remarks better served to not appear on this website.
The suspended ban does not come into effect unless he were to commit a similar offense, essentially serving as a probation. This will allow Barton to appear in OM’s final three matches of the season. They have a mathematical shot at winning the title, but they must win out while PSG loses out.
Barton, known for fiery outbursts and hotheaded actions both on and off the pitch, exploded on Silva after comments the Brazilian defender made in an interview with French outfit L’Equipe referring to Barton.
Silva said, “There is even a Marseille player, I cannot remember his name, an Englishman, who has said bad things about Neymar and Brazilian football, and also about (David) Beckham. As no one is talking about him, it seems fun to him to criticize great players for people to know he exists.”
That caused Barton to retaliate. The French Football Federation held a hearing directly after the incident, but decided it couldn’t act on the tweets since they were made in English and not in French, and therefore an accurate translation could not be provided for some of the words or phrases Barton used.
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 0
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season
- What Moyes Really Meant by Asking Fans for More Time at Man United
- Manchester United Set to Sign Record $1 Billion Sponsorship Deal with Nike
- Will Johnson: We Weren't All Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro