May 6, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
Take a bow Jimmy Nielsen. You, too, Bobby Shuttleworth.
The attack hogged up headlines around Sporting Kansas City on Sunday, and right so. Claudio Bieler and Graham Zusi led the way as SKC put a foursome past Chivas USA.
At the other end, it’s hard to say too many wonderful things about a goalkeeper who more or less could have managed the match with a milkshake in one hand. Still, he did manage to accomplish something that needs noting.
Nielsen moved into first place on the club’s list of all-time shutouts. Not bad, especially when considering the number of matches en route to this point, and also considering a couple of the men the “White Puma” has recently lapped, the venerable likes of Tony Meola and Kevin Hartman. The club’s all-time list now looks like this:
- Jimmy Nielsen, 38 shutouts (in 104 games)
- Tony Meola, 37 shutouts (125 games)
- Kevin Hartman, 22 shutouts (90 games)
- Bo Oshoniyi, 22 shutouts (96 games)
Once time zone east of there, Shuttleworth (pictured) accomplished something worth noting for New England. (Something beyond being named to ProSoccerTalk’s Team of the Week, that is. Cheers, dude.)
Shuttleworth’s nine saves equalled an MLS high this year. Toronto’s Joe Bendik also turned away nine shots on target this year, back in mid-April in a 1-1 draw at Philadelphia.
- MLS Cup 2000 flashback: Molnar, Meola the heroes for Kansas City – video 0
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 17
- How well did Major League Soccer’s format work in 2013? Few qualms with this year’s results 8
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (17)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (17)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)