May 6, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
Take a bow Jimmy Nielsen. You, too, Bobby Shuttleworth.
The attack hogged up headlines around Sporting Kansas City on Sunday, and right so. Claudio Bieler and Graham Zusi led the way as SKC put a foursome past Chivas USA.
At the other end, it’s hard to say too many wonderful things about a goalkeeper who more or less could have managed the match with a milkshake in one hand. Still, he did manage to accomplish something that needs noting.
Nielsen moved into first place on the club’s list of all-time shutouts. Not bad, especially when considering the number of matches en route to this point, and also considering a couple of the men the “White Puma” has recently lapped, the venerable likes of Tony Meola and Kevin Hartman. The club’s all-time list now looks like this:
- Jimmy Nielsen, 38 shutouts (in 104 games)
- Tony Meola, 37 shutouts (125 games)
- Kevin Hartman, 22 shutouts (90 games)
- Bo Oshoniyi, 22 shutouts (96 games)
Once time zone east of there, Shuttleworth (pictured) accomplished something worth noting for New England. (Something beyond being named to ProSoccerTalk’s Team of the Week, that is. Cheers, dude.)
Shuttleworth’s nine saves equalled an MLS high this year. Toronto’s Joe Bendik also turned away nine shots on target this year, back in mid-April in a 1-1 draw at Philadelphia.
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs