May 6, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
It wasn’t surprising, perhaps, that a motivated Sporting KC team could take down Chivas USA at home even without one of its best, U.S. international Matt Besler (pictured).
But Besler’s absence does deserve some exploration.
Injury, perhaps? That would be awful news for the guy, who will be on the upcoming U.S. roster for the important friendlies and World Cup qualifiers ahead or, at very least, will be leading the U.S. back line in the Gold Cup.
Nah. Not a serious one, at least. Sporting Kansas City manager Peter Vermes explained that it just made sense to give the heady center back a little time off. SKC has a quick turn with a mid-week match Wednesday against Seattle. That means Besler gets to deal with fellow U.S. man Eddie Johnson, and possible with DP striker Obafemi Martins, if he’s healthy.
Then the bunch from Sporting Park travels to Houston for a Sunday match at BBVA Compass Stadium, where the Dynamo has yet to lose. Clearly, that one will be a bugger, too. Will Bruin and an in-form Giles Barnes need dealing with in that one.
Here’s what Vermes had to say about Besler’s day off:
He had a little bit of an issue the other day. We just felt that it wasn’t important to push it for this game being that we have three games in eight days. It was best to keep him out. It’s the same thing with Chance Myers. The decision is that we have three games in eight days and it’s a great exercise for us with these games because we’re going to start coming up on this situation quite often come summer. We have to be prepared to deal with that and the rotation of the roster.
Implied there, of course, is that Besler will be gone for a significant chunk of summer time. May as well get some of these other guys some time – because they will be up against tougher tests later. Clearly, it worked out OK on Sunday against the Goats, who managed not one shot on target in the 4-0 loss.
- MLS Cup 2013 Starting Lineups: Wingert, Saborío in; Sporting unchanged 0
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 2
- Premier League Roundup: Upsets galore as Manchester United, Chelsea lose (video) 0
- Jose Mourinho: “We’re in trouble” after Chelsea’s defeat to Stoke 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (40)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (22)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)