May 6, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
ProSoccerTalk’s Best XI from Week 10 in Major League Soccer includes a lot of good men on the defensive end.
- New England Revolution’s Bobby Shuttleworth
Why we like him: When a good team (the Portland Timbers) gets shut out at home and walks away saying, in effect, “We played pretty good in this one,” you can bet there’s a goalkeeping performance worthy of a long, slow applause. Shuttleworth’s work (nine saves) in Thursday’s scoreless draw certainly applies.
- Real Salt Lake’s Chris Wingert
- Houston Dynamo’s Bobby Boswell
- New York Red Bull’s Jamison Olave
- Real Salt Lake’s Nat Borchers
- Portland Timbers’ Michael Harrington
Why we like them: Boswell was among the best Dynamo men in a big 1-0 win over the Galaxy, a rematch of the last two MLS Cup finals. Harrington probably doesn’t get enough credit for his work around Jeld-Wen. His passing is still too erratic, but the man’s one-on-one defending is rock solid. It was in last week’s draw with New England.
Wingert, now healthy again, played along the left for RSL and provided a big push (along with accurate crossing) in a 2-0 win over Vancouver. Alongside Wingert on the Rio Tinto back line was Borchers, whose goal-line clearance helped keep this one under control.
Olave was Olave in the Red Bulls latest road triumph, a really good one, 1-0 in Columbus. We’ll say it again: he’s top 2-3 among league center backs when he’s healthy. When he is healthy.
- Philadelphia’s Danny Cruz
- Sporting Kansas City’s Graham Zusi
- New York Red Bulls’ Tim Cahill
- Montreal Impact’s Justin Mapp (pictured)
Why we like them: The cynic may say that Cruz’s two goals were “right place, right time” stuff. But each and every week we see guys pop up in the right spots, but unable to seal the deal. Cruz finished with authority. Twice!
Zusi had a goal and assist and ran the attack in SKC’s romp-and-stomp over Chivas USA, 4-0.
Cahill has a goal or assist in three consecutive matches, the league’s longest active streak. His goal Saturday in Columbus wasn’t just his third in two matches, it was the difference as Mike Petke’s in-form team won its third in a row away from Red Bull Arena.
- Sporting Kansas City’s Claudio Bieler
Why we like them: Beiler’s pair gives him six for the year. So, make room Mike Magee and Jack McInerney; SKC’s striker now shares the league with those guys.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Gunners prospect could soon be locked into an international career with Germany.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
Champions League was Milan’s last battle. Now, two months of auditions for next year’s team begin, with Seedorf decide who will return for the Rossoneri’s restart.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
Over the course of two legs, Arsenal was outshot 41-15 and had only 27 percent of the ball.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Legacy didn’t matter, Costa is ready for your love, and Atlético improved but imperfect.
Mar 11, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Another sickening blow for Holden, who suffers knee ligament damage after latest comeback game goes horribly wrong:
Mar 11, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
With the Gunners falling at the first UCL knockout hurdle once again, what did we learn this time?
Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.)
Mar 11, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Defending champions Bayern down Gunners to reach quarterfinals of Champions League:
Mar 11, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
With seven goals in five Champions League games, Costa has led Atlético into the quarterfinals.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Three Vancouver Whitecaps take their place in the first week’s Best XI.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Japanese youngster traveled with squad to Munich… then Arsenal found out he was ineligible:
Mar 11, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Nick Rimando snared the league’s honor, but the Dancing Bear claims PST’s first weekly award.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Can the Gunners go on the road and beat Bayern 2-0 for a second-straight season in the UCL?
Mar 11, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
American investment company now owns 25 percent of United’s total shares on the NYSE:
Mar 11, 2014, 12:43 PM EDT
Newcastle boss full of remorse after unsavory incident lands him in hot water:
Mar 11, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
Pardew reprimanded by the FA, is his ban long enough?
Mar 11, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
German youth international, eligible to play for the USMNT, set to extend stay with Arsenal:
Mar 11, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Ankle sprain is “a very rare and unique injury, and we are trying to treat it as well as possible.”
Mar 11, 2014, 4:55 AM EDT
Milan’s failed to turn its season around, with Atlético has stabilized after a February swoon.
Mar 11, 2014, 3:47 AM EDT
Bayern’s lost twice in the last 12 months – once to Arsenal. The holders will look to avoid a repeat of last year’s visit.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
There’s also a freshness under Mastroeni, who oozes the respectability that comes from a distinguished career.
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 0
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 1 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers