Skip to content

Video: Family vigil held for soccer referee who died from punch

May 6, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT

Referee Punched

The family of Ricardo Portillo – the soccer referee who died early Sunday morning after he was punched in the head during a match the week before – held a vigil encouraging athletes around the world to hold their tempers in check so another family doesn’t have to suffer.

Wearing white shirts and holding signs that read, “In loving memory of Ricky,” family members of the Utah soccer referee spoke at a candlelight vigil held on the front lawn of his Salt Lake City home. “He was a father, he was a friend, he was a grandfather, he left a whole family behind,” said Johana Portillo, the oldest of his three daughters. “They should think before they do something stupid.”

The 46 year old Portillo passed away following a week long coma that was the result of a brain swell, which occurred after he was punched in the head by a 17-year-old player in a recreational soccer league. The incident occured after Portillo whistled the player, who was playing goal-keeper, for a foul and issued him a yellow card. As Portillo was writing down the booking the goal-keeper punched the referee once in the side of the head. After Portillo began vomiting blood, emergency services were called and transported him to a local hospital, where he subsequently fell into the coma.

Following the incident the suspect was booked into juvenile detention on suspicion of aggravated assault. Since Portillo has passed away, authorities will now consider whether to levy heavier charges on the suspect.

Johana Portillo said she hopes to someday be able to forgive the teenager. But as of now, she can’t. As far as punishment is concerned, she thinks the teen has to answer for his actions. “I feel sorry for him. I feel for his family,” she said. “But if he was old enough to do what he did, then he’s responsible to pay for it.”

Portillo also expressed hope that her father’s death leads to more security at sporting events and better self-control from players. She claimed that before last week’s incident her father had been twice attacked by players resulting in broken ribs and legs. The incidents compelled Portillo’s daughters to beg him to stop refereeing but he told his daughters he refused citing is passion for the game.

The subject match occurred in an unaffiliated soccer league, Liga Continental de Futbol. Since his passing the league has updated its Facebook page with a tribute to Portillo and also set up a bank account to accept donations for his family.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. sabatimus - May 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM


    • tsmitala77 - May 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM

      Teddy…JOBK3 com is the website for the work at home job. Dan does it at home and makes $17.70 hourly just sitting and typing stuff all day…No exp needed too

  2. drago2012 - May 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM

    I am sure this guy will be charged with 2nd degree murder and will probably get minimum of 10 years. This is a huge problem, i have played soccer my whole life and this has been a problem all along. We had one referee that carried a gun on him during the game and one of the other team players made a threatening gesture while walking toward him, he simply pulled his gun a said “one more step and i will drop you” . The guy stopped and just walked the other way and the situation was averted. After that incident no other player ever approached him or threatened him. He continued to referee for at least another ten years with no problem. I just feel bad for the family he left behind and i respect his passion for the game, because he surely did not make much money from being a ref. You are lucky if you get $50 per game in those amateur leagues.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Featured video

MOTD: United's offensive struggles