May 7, 2013, 4:16 PM EST
As D.C. United’s injury situation slowly improves, the bigger question becomes even more illuminated: Will it help D.C. United’s overall situation, which looks increasingly dire.
It’s a long season, as we know. United is just eight games into a 34-game campaign. And as the LA Galaxy clearly demonstrated a year back, teams can pretty much stink up the joint through May and still pound their way to MLS Cup glory.
The Washington Post says Chris Pontius and Nick DeLeon (pictured), United’s starting flank midfielders when healthy, are both nearing a return.
That’s just in time for a busy few days. D.C. United, last among the 19 clubs in our rankings, hosts Houston at home on Wednesday, and Ben Olsen’s club needs that one in the very worst way. As we said before on the blog, losing at home tends to get coaches canned, and United has lost three of four at RFK this year.
Houston is vulnerable, having played late Sunday evening and then traveled across the country on Monday.
Three nights later it’s D.C. United doing the traveling, visiting Texas, where it’s already heating up for the summer. The travel, the potential heat and the fact that Dallas has the league’s best record all makes Wednesday’s match at home even more vital for Olsen and Co.
So Olsen has to weigh all that as he allocates playing time for the two important pieces. He needs them … but prudence would dictate some caution, too.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for touch Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 6
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"