May 7, 2013, 4:16 PM EST
As D.C. United’s injury situation slowly improves, the bigger question becomes even more illuminated: Will it help D.C. United’s overall situation, which looks increasingly dire.
It’s a long season, as we know. United is just eight games into a 34-game campaign. And as the LA Galaxy clearly demonstrated a year back, teams can pretty much stink up the joint through May and still pound their way to MLS Cup glory.
The Washington Post says Chris Pontius and Nick DeLeon (pictured), United’s starting flank midfielders when healthy, are both nearing a return.
That’s just in time for a busy few days. D.C. United, last among the 19 clubs in our rankings, hosts Houston at home on Wednesday, and Ben Olsen’s club needs that one in the very worst way. As we said before on the blog, losing at home tends to get coaches canned, and United has lost three of four at RFK this year.
Houston is vulnerable, having played late Sunday evening and then traveled across the country on Monday.
Three nights later it’s D.C. United doing the traveling, visiting Texas, where it’s already heating up for the summer. The travel, the potential heat and the fact that Dallas has the league’s best record all makes Wednesday’s match at home even more vital for Olsen and Co.
So Olsen has to weigh all that as he allocates playing time for the two important pieces. He needs them … but prudence would dictate some caution, too.
- U.S. Soccer names All-Time Best XI, do you agree? 1
- Luis Suarez signs new long-term deal at Liverpool 2
- Clint Dempsey undergoes medical at Fulham ahead of loan move from Seattle Sounders 2
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) 11
- Manchester derby in cards for League Cup final 1
- Brendan Rodgers cool on re-signing Luis Suarez to a new deal 2
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Is Google a player in the game of sports media rights? (12)
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) (11)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- Mexico’s Monterrey dumped out of FIFA Club World Cup (7)
- Nightmare for Socceroos in Real Group of Death
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC