May 7, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
(Nos. 1-10 are on deck …so check back)
19. D.C. United – A five-game losing streak makes Wednesday’s home match against Houston absolutely critical. United should be rested, having not played since the 3-0 loss to Columbus on April 27, while the visitors will have traveled coast-to-coast after Sunday’s big win in Los Angeles. So, Ben Olsen’s team needs this one something fierce.
18. Toronto FC – Reports out of the UK say the Reds are trying to add Scottish international defender Steven Caldwell, perhaps on loan. He is currently at Birmingham City. Clearly, they need greater stability in the back. So if not Caldwell, they need to add somebody.
17. Chicago Fire – Same as above, except that Chicago should be even better rested. Philadelphia visits Toyota Park (pictured) on Saturday to face a side that has not played since April 27.
16. Seattle Sounders – Somewhat lost amid all the refereeing consternation Saturday at PPL Park was that Seattle accomplished something worthwhile: rallying with a second-half goal to draw on the road. Mauro Rosales looked better than he has in months. In fact, he had a goal and assist in a match for the first time since 2011.
15. New England Revolution – Lost amid Bobby Shuttleworth’s big night was that Jose Goncalves was good in the middle once again along the Revs’ back line. At six goals allowed (assisted by last week’s worthy, scoreless draw at Portland) the Revs have the second-lowest league total.
14. Chivas USA – Things came apart spectacularly as the Goats ran up against a motivated Sporting Kansas City on Sunday. Now they’ll be without standout goalkeeper Dan Kennedy for this week’s trip into Oregon for face in-form Portland. Chivas is winless in its last four.
13. Vancouver Whitecaps – The Whitecaps are 0-4-1 away from BC Place in 2013 following the latest road setback, a 2-0 loss at Real Salt Lake. At least Martin Rennie’s club doesn’t have a mid-week tournament match to worry about; those have been real buggers lately.
12. Philadelphia Union – We haven’t heard yet how much of a haircut manager John Hackworth will take for excoriating referee Jorge Gonzalez after Saturday’s contemptuous 2-2 draw at PPL Park. But it’s coming. We’ll see if it’s just a fine or something more; if he’s lucky, he’ll be on the bench for Saturday’s visit to Chicago.
11. Columbus – A lot of things went right as the Crew executed well enough against visiting New York – “well enough” except for finishing, that is. Red Bull goalkeeper Luis Robles saved a Federico Higuaín penalty kick, and that was pretty much that in a 1-0 loss. The Crew is now a very modest 1-1-2 at home in 2013.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
Mario Balotelli put an LOL up on Twitter at Manchester United’s expense, and subjected himself to some horrible racial abuse.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Despite heavy defeat, United’s new attacker scores goal of the season contender.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Everton has sewn the seeds for a good run of form and are hoping to build on recent success against a struggling Palace squad.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
Diego Costa hsa been in fantastic form to begin his Premier League career, and has the chance to fire Chelsea five points clear at the top of the table.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Manchester United were left shell-shocked after blowing a 3-1 lead against Premier League minnows.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Spurs offered little as James Morrison propelled West Brom off the bottom of the table.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:33 AM EDT
Championship side Leeds is dipping into Eastern Europe to find their new manager.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
King Power Stadium is bursting with attacking skill as three goals have come within the opening 20 minutes.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:07 AM EDT
Mauricio Pochettino has to navigate a pair of fixtures in four days thanks to the Europa League, and will look to avoid the first defeat to West Brom at White Hart Lane in 30 years.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT
Radamel Falcao makes his first start for Manchester United who look to build on a strong win last weekend.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:25 AM EDT
Strootman has hired a man with a solid reputation to try and bring down Roma’s insane asking price.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:55 AM EDT
Highlights and recaps from the seven-match night in Major League Soccer.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:49 AM EDT
Alan Gordon’s late winner moves LA even with Seattle at the top of Major League Soccer.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Arsenal’s manager lauded his team’s concentration in its 3-0 win at Villa Park.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
Bradley Wright-Phillips is closing in on history after his season’s third hat trick.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
Can Chelsea stay perfect by beating Man City? Will United win again? How will Spurs, Everton do after Europa League action? Super Sunday is upon us.
Sep 20, 2014, 7:52 PM EDT
Arsenal became the first to break through Aston Villa, while Sam Allardyce’s plans came to fruition in East London.
Sep 20, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
The Timbers claim fifth in the Western Conference after another decisive win over their rivals.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT
Thierry Henry will be center stage as two teams recovering from mid-week commitments meet at Red Bull Arena.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
Portland’s brightest executed a sublime volley to give his team a first half lead.
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 1
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages 4
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 3