May 7, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
(Nos. 1-10 are on deck …so check back)
19. D.C. United – A five-game losing streak makes Wednesday’s home match against Houston absolutely critical. United should be rested, having not played since the 3-0 loss to Columbus on April 27, while the visitors will have traveled coast-to-coast after Sunday’s big win in Los Angeles. So, Ben Olsen’s team needs this one something fierce.
18. Toronto FC – Reports out of the UK say the Reds are trying to add Scottish international defender Steven Caldwell, perhaps on loan. He is currently at Birmingham City. Clearly, they need greater stability in the back. So if not Caldwell, they need to add somebody.
17. Chicago Fire – Same as above, except that Chicago should be even better rested. Philadelphia visits Toyota Park (pictured) on Saturday to face a side that has not played since April 27.
16. Seattle Sounders – Somewhat lost amid all the refereeing consternation Saturday at PPL Park was that Seattle accomplished something worthwhile: rallying with a second-half goal to draw on the road. Mauro Rosales looked better than he has in months. In fact, he had a goal and assist in a match for the first time since 2011.
15. New England Revolution – Lost amid Bobby Shuttleworth’s big night was that Jose Goncalves was good in the middle once again along the Revs’ back line. At six goals allowed (assisted by last week’s worthy, scoreless draw at Portland) the Revs have the second-lowest league total.
14. Chivas USA – Things came apart spectacularly as the Goats ran up against a motivated Sporting Kansas City on Sunday. Now they’ll be without standout goalkeeper Dan Kennedy for this week’s trip into Oregon for face in-form Portland. Chivas is winless in its last four.
13. Vancouver Whitecaps – The Whitecaps are 0-4-1 away from BC Place in 2013 following the latest road setback, a 2-0 loss at Real Salt Lake. At least Martin Rennie’s club doesn’t have a mid-week tournament match to worry about; those have been real buggers lately.
12. Philadelphia Union – We haven’t heard yet how much of a haircut manager John Hackworth will take for excoriating referee Jorge Gonzalez after Saturday’s contemptuous 2-2 draw at PPL Park. But it’s coming. We’ll see if it’s just a fine or something more; if he’s lucky, he’ll be on the bench for Saturday’s visit to Chicago.
11. Columbus – A lot of things went right as the Crew executed well enough against visiting New York – “well enough” except for finishing, that is. Red Bull goalkeeper Luis Robles saved a Federico Higuaín penalty kick, and that was pretty much that in a 1-0 loss. The Crew is now a very modest 1-1-2 at home in 2013.
Sep 4, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT
The transfer window may have closed, but the war of words between Manchester United and Real Madrid is still going strong.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:10 PM EDT
A massive loss for the Cherries as Tyrone Mings’ season is over after tearing his ACL and MCL against Leicester City.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:11 PM EDT
We need a bigger term than sitter for this Japan miss. Sofa? Futon? Beanbag chair?
With two friendlies before the Confederations Cup playoff, who should be the USMNT’s center back pair?
Sep 4, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
The USMNT’s Tinkerman takes a lot of risks with his formation and use of his best players (See: Bradley, Michael), but there is at least one area where we just don’t get it: center backs.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:37 PM EDT
We caught up with the man tasked with taking the USA to Rio.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:24 AM EDT
Who knew we could’ve settled this whole thing ages ago, just by asking smokers in England?
Sep 4, 2015, 9:49 AM EDT
Son scored in the 12th, 74th and 89th minutes of South Korea’s 8-0 win over Laos in AFC World Cup qualifying on Thursday.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Week 27 is upon, and though international call-ups have decimated a number of teams, this weekend’s MLS action should still be decent.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:22 AM EDT
Perez says a move that should’ve taken an hour “took eight”, and blasted the Red Devils’ chairman by using examples from 2013.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
A 6-foot-4 American striker has Providence aiming for another College Cup, and U.S. Soccer fans on notice.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EDT
As it turns out, Candy Crush was worth a lot of money. So much money, in fact, that Mel Morris bought his boyhood football club.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:37 PM EDT
The USMNT returns to action for the first time since finishing fourth at the 2015 Gold Cup. Their playoff vs. Mexico is 37 days away.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
This weekend, referees will begin dishing out green cards, which mean absolutely nothing.
Sep 3, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
What did we learn from the young U.S. side at Deepdale?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT
With Olympic qualifying less than a month away, final tune-ups are underway for the US U-23 squad.
Sep 3, 2015, 4:20 PM EDT
Jurgen Klinsmann’s latest comments confirm what we’ve assumed all along: he believes he is immune to criticism.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Red Devils have ripped apart their title-winning team from 2013. Will things settle down anytime soon?
- EXCLUSIVE: US Olympic coach Andi Herzog on Rio 2016, MLS, over-age players and more 0
- Real Madrid’s Perez says De Gea move failed because Manchester United lacks transfer “experience” 5
- Preview: USMNT to face Peru in tune-up for CONCACAF playoff vs. Mexico 0
- Three things we learned from USA U-23’s defeat vs. England U-21 0
- If you’ve ever criticized Jurgen Klinsmann or his USMNT, you don’t understand soccer 36
- How will USMNT line up in friendly vs. Peru? 9