May 7, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
(Nos. 1-10 are on deck …so check back)
19. D.C. United – A five-game losing streak makes Wednesday’s home match against Houston absolutely critical. United should be rested, having not played since the 3-0 loss to Columbus on April 27, while the visitors will have traveled coast-to-coast after Sunday’s big win in Los Angeles. So, Ben Olsen’s team needs this one something fierce.
18. Toronto FC – Reports out of the UK say the Reds are trying to add Scottish international defender Steven Caldwell, perhaps on loan. He is currently at Birmingham City. Clearly, they need greater stability in the back. So if not Caldwell, they need to add somebody.
17. Chicago Fire – Same as above, except that Chicago should be even better rested. Philadelphia visits Toyota Park (pictured) on Saturday to face a side that has not played since April 27.
16. Seattle Sounders – Somewhat lost amid all the refereeing consternation Saturday at PPL Park was that Seattle accomplished something worthwhile: rallying with a second-half goal to draw on the road. Mauro Rosales looked better than he has in months. In fact, he had a goal and assist in a match for the first time since 2011.
15. New England Revolution – Lost amid Bobby Shuttleworth’s big night was that Jose Goncalves was good in the middle once again along the Revs’ back line. At six goals allowed (assisted by last week’s worthy, scoreless draw at Portland) the Revs have the second-lowest league total.
14. Chivas USA – Things came apart spectacularly as the Goats ran up against a motivated Sporting Kansas City on Sunday. Now they’ll be without standout goalkeeper Dan Kennedy for this week’s trip into Oregon for face in-form Portland. Chivas is winless in its last four.
13. Vancouver Whitecaps – The Whitecaps are 0-4-1 away from BC Place in 2013 following the latest road setback, a 2-0 loss at Real Salt Lake. At least Martin Rennie’s club doesn’t have a mid-week tournament match to worry about; those have been real buggers lately.
12. Philadelphia Union – We haven’t heard yet how much of a haircut manager John Hackworth will take for excoriating referee Jorge Gonzalez after Saturday’s contemptuous 2-2 draw at PPL Park. But it’s coming. We’ll see if it’s just a fine or something more; if he’s lucky, he’ll be on the bench for Saturday’s visit to Chicago.
11. Columbus – A lot of things went right as the Crew executed well enough against visiting New York – “well enough” except for finishing, that is. Red Bull goalkeeper Luis Robles saved a Federico Higuaín penalty kick, and that was pretty much that in a 1-0 loss. The Crew is now a very modest 1-1-2 at home in 2013.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:40 PM EDT
Storylines ahead of FA Cup semifinal clashes.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
Jose Mourinho provided his backing for fellow PL manager Manuel Pellegrini, who could be terminated as Manchester City’s manager at the year’s conclusion.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:13 PM EDT
Final: New York Red Bulls 2-0 San Jose Earthquakes
Apr 17, 2015, 8:01 PM EDT
Beckenbauer on Bayern’s year-end winning aspirations: “They are far away, far, far, far away to win the Champions League.”
Apr 17, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Hart: “[Pellegrini] has got principles that we work to, that we train to and, like I say, we’ve let him down…”
Apr 17, 2015, 5:38 PM EDT
PSG striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic had his four-game ban reduced today.
Apr 17, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
Preview of Everton-Burnley tomorrow morning: Can the Toffees extend their solid form?
Apr 17, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
Steven Gerrard will hope to exit Anfield with one last crown, an FA Cup trophy, and Aston Villa stands in the way.
Apr 17, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT
Chelsea and United do battle at the Bridge on Saturday. Watch it live on NBC and online at 12:30 p.m .ET.
Apr 17, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
The US left-back appears to have returned to the national team picture after a prolonged hiatus, and he’s brought with him a special flair.
Apr 17, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
How will the Blues and Red Devils line up on Saturday? Here’s a quick gander…
Apr 17, 2015, 12:20 PM EDT
As two giants of English soccer collide on Saturday, here’s a trip down memory lane at some scintillating past encounters.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Where and how to watch every single PL game live during Week 33.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Here’s how PST’s Lead Writer and Editor sees things panning out in Week 33.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
After alleged smoking of shisha pipe, inhaling nitrus oxide, Liverpool’s youngsters called into Rodgers’ office.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The Western Conference is the place to be this weekend, as it so often will be this season. The East ain’t awful either.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:29 AM EDT
City’s skipper could miss the rest of the campaign with groin injury.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:35 AM EDT
Red Devils will be without four regulars for their trip to Stamford Bridge this weekend.
Apr 16, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
There are a lot of not-good people in the world, and unfortunately soccer tends to bring that not-goodness out of them.
Apr 16, 2015, 10:06 PM EDT
Poor Jordan Morris. He scores the game-winning goal against Mexico, and a corporate sponsorship makes him ineligible for the MOTM award.
- Brek Shea’s USMNT return includes a personal, artistic touch 3
- Wayne Rooney may play in midfield: How will Chelsea, Manchester United line up? 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 33 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Red-hot teams will keep rolling 3
- MLS Week 7 preview: RSL vs. Whitecaps, Galaxy vs. Sporting KC in the wild West 0
- Injury crisis for Manchester United as four key players to miss clash vs. Chelsea 1