May 7, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
(Nos. 1-10 are on deck …so check back)
19. D.C. United – A five-game losing streak makes Wednesday’s home match against Houston absolutely critical. United should be rested, having not played since the 3-0 loss to Columbus on April 27, while the visitors will have traveled coast-to-coast after Sunday’s big win in Los Angeles. So, Ben Olsen’s team needs this one something fierce.
18. Toronto FC – Reports out of the UK say the Reds are trying to add Scottish international defender Steven Caldwell, perhaps on loan. He is currently at Birmingham City. Clearly, they need greater stability in the back. So if not Caldwell, they need to add somebody.
17. Chicago Fire – Same as above, except that Chicago should be even better rested. Philadelphia visits Toyota Park (pictured) on Saturday to face a side that has not played since April 27.
16. Seattle Sounders – Somewhat lost amid all the refereeing consternation Saturday at PPL Park was that Seattle accomplished something worthwhile: rallying with a second-half goal to draw on the road. Mauro Rosales looked better than he has in months. In fact, he had a goal and assist in a match for the first time since 2011.
15. New England Revolution – Lost amid Bobby Shuttleworth’s big night was that Jose Goncalves was good in the middle once again along the Revs’ back line. At six goals allowed (assisted by last week’s worthy, scoreless draw at Portland) the Revs have the second-lowest league total.
14. Chivas USA – Things came apart spectacularly as the Goats ran up against a motivated Sporting Kansas City on Sunday. Now they’ll be without standout goalkeeper Dan Kennedy for this week’s trip into Oregon for face in-form Portland. Chivas is winless in its last four.
13. Vancouver Whitecaps – The Whitecaps are 0-4-1 away from BC Place in 2013 following the latest road setback, a 2-0 loss at Real Salt Lake. At least Martin Rennie’s club doesn’t have a mid-week tournament match to worry about; those have been real buggers lately.
12. Philadelphia Union – We haven’t heard yet how much of a haircut manager John Hackworth will take for excoriating referee Jorge Gonzalez after Saturday’s contemptuous 2-2 draw at PPL Park. But it’s coming. We’ll see if it’s just a fine or something more; if he’s lucky, he’ll be on the bench for Saturday’s visit to Chicago.
11. Columbus – A lot of things went right as the Crew executed well enough against visiting New York – “well enough” except for finishing, that is. Red Bull goalkeeper Luis Robles saved a Federico Higuaín penalty kick, and that was pretty much that in a 1-0 loss. The Crew is now a very modest 1-1-2 at home in 2013.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
There’s a real reason, other than “easy schedule,” for England’s improved performances since the World Cup.
Mar 29, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Harry Shipp. Harry Shipp. Harry Shipp.
Mar 29, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
Sterling isn’t interested in negotiating a new deal until the summer — even if it’s for $270,000/week — and a few reassurances are made.
Mar 29, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Who’s on top of Groups D, F and I at the halfway point?
Mar 29, 2015, 2:55 PM EDT
Luis Suarez was candid as ever after Gerrard’s charity match, and he opened up the possibility of a Premier League return down the road.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Thierry Henry showed off his sparkling passing skills at Steven Gerrard’s testimonial.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:43 AM EDT
The United States loses one of their goalscorers from Friday’s friendly, but now it’s a youngster’s turn to make a statement.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT
A whopping turnaround, led by owner Katharina Liebherr, has taken place at St. Mary’s and the financial evidence is there.
Mar 29, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
If Adnan Januzaj wants to make a return to the Belgium squad, he must focus on earning playing time at his club first.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:13 AM EDT
An agreement has reportedly been reached between the current American owner and a domestic ownership group.
Mar 29, 2015, 7:34 AM EDT
Gareth Bale knows what people are saying about his recent play at Real Madrid, but he’s not listening.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Catch up on all the action from Week 4 of the MLS season.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:41 PM EDT
A disappointing result for FCD, given Seattle’s lack of Dempsey and Martins, but a great one considering their early red card.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:06 PM EDT
Three more points for Vancouver, who win it late on Robert Earnshaw’s Whitecaps debut. He scores for everyone.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
It was the late, late, late show at RFK Stadium, and despite being thoroughly outplayed, D.C. United go home with three points.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Sporting KC get their first victory of the season, while NYCFC suffer their first defeat of the year — and history.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
It wasn’t a great day to be a traditional European giant, but it was a great day to be Gareth Bale and Wales.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
A dominant performance — and the three points to match — from the Revs…finally.
Mar 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Think that MLS playing through int’l windows isn’t a big deal? Let’s ask Orlando City what they think about it.
- EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Germany back on track; Portugal beat Serbia, go top 0
- Report: Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner set to sell team to UK group 0
- MLS roundup: Whitecaps, D.C. United win late ones; FCD, Sounders in disappointing draw 1
- MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 0-0 Seattle Sounders 0
- MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 Portland Timbers 2
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 1-0 LA Galaxy 1