May 7, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
10. San Jose Earthquakes – Would Steven Lenhart’s presence have been enough Saturday to get the Earthquakes over the hump against Montreal? Frank Yallop’s men rallied from two goals behind to get the draw, but might they have found the game-winner, too? Or what if Alan Gordon was not similarly suspended? We’ll never know. Behave, guys!
9. Colorado Rapids – The men from DSG Park have learned how to win the close ones, with three 1-0 victories in their last five contests. They have quietly climbed into fifth place, but the next pair will be real bruisers, at Columbus and at San Jose.
8. Real Salt Lake – Young forward Joao Plata needs to be better near goal, but his overall body of work was solid in replacing injured DP Alvaro Saborio last Saturday. Javier Morales was lively, too, in a 2-0 win over Vancouver. Reports of his demise, as they say, may have been exaggerated.
7. LA Galaxy – Some of those young guys who did so well in last week’s win at Real Salt Lake couldn’t quite repeat the feat at home against motivated Houston. One of the young men who does seem to get it done game after game is rookie left back Greg Cochrane, who continues to look impressing in fill-in duty for injured vet Todd Dunivant.
6. Montreal Impact – A 2-2 draw at San Jose doesn’t look too bad, but what team ever feels good about losing a 2-0 lead? The team really misses Davy Arnaud and Patrice Bernier in central midfield, which, by the way, is exactly where much of the trouble started on San Jose’s goals in the big rally at Buck Shaw.
5. Portland Timbers – Last Thursday’s match in Oregon to open Round 10 around the league was sure proof that a scoreless draw can be exciting. Quality was high, and the goalkeeping was exceptional on both sides. The season-ending injury to Mikael Silvestre must be dealt with, but the Timbers seem to be in good shape otherwise, unbeaten in seven straight.
4. Houston Dynamo – Andrew Driver got the big goal, but withdrawn forward Giles Barnes was The Man in a 1-0 win over the LA Galaxy. Make that, a “huge” win over the LA Galaxy in a rematch of the last two MLS Cups. Bobby Boswell was a beast in the back for Houston. A trip into United on Wednesday, so quickly after Sunday’s late contest, will test the depth and fitness.
3. New York Red Bulls – Just when Roy Miller was getting his groove back, a kitchen accident puts the Red Bulls’ left back in a cast. If it wasn’t for bad luck, this guy would have no luck at all! By the way, with all the star power around Red Bull Arena, it’s easy to overlook guys like Jonny Steele (pictured), who had another nice afternoon in Saturday’s win over Columbus. Mike Petke’s team has won three in a row and four of its last five.
2. Sporting Kansas City – Sporting KC manager Peter Vermes rolled the dice, confidently assessing that his team could snap a two-game losing streak without one of its top men, center back Matt Besler. (Or without right back Chance Myers, for that matter.) While one of the league’s top defenders rested, the team romped, 4-0 over Chivas USA. Graham Zusi rocked in this one.
1. FC Dallas – This is a big week for Schellas Hyndman’s club, with a chance to stretch that lead in the West as Portland and D.C. United visit Texas over the next four days. The week off in Round 10 helped a bunch as center back George John and midfielder Andrew Jacobson – both so important to the Red Stripes – appear fit and ready for the two home matches.
USWNT’s Lloyd, Johnston, Rapinoe shorlisted for Women’s World Cup Golden Ball; Solo for Golden Glove
Jul 2, 2015, 4:43 PM EDT
Four USWNT players have been shortlisted for the Golden Ball and Golden Glove awards.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Here’s a look at who Los Ticos will have to get by in the group stages. Can Canada and Jamaica make a deep run?
Jul 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Pep is more than happy to keep Schweinsteiger around at the Allianz next season, but he’s becoming a little restless.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
Can Klinsmann’s side breeze through group play at the Gold Cup?
Jul 2, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
The latest gossip is right here, with updates on two monster transfers.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
England’s head coach was full of pride and admiration for his team despite falling at the semifinal hurdle.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
Kilnsmann reveals he has decided to take the armband off Clint and hand it to Bradley.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Describing the scene from England, as the Lionesses helped to inspire a nation this summer in Canada.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:23 AM EDT
French international is reportedly mulling over an offer from FCD. What do we think about this?
Jul 2, 2015, 8:47 AM EDT
Manchester United’s “Chicharito” will not play for El Tri this summer after being injured in a friendly.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 AM EDT
The U.S. Department of Justice wants to bring FIFA officials accused of corruption to the USA.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
Japan beat the U.S. to win the 2011 World Cup. The U.S. beat Japan to win the 2012 Olympics. Round 3 takes place Sunday in the 2015 Women’s World Cup final.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:28 AM EDT
A Major League Soccer franchise is going to win the 2015 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:57 PM EDT
Mark Sampson spoke in detail about the character of Laura Bassett and how he hopes girls in England are inspired for the future.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:11 PM EDT
Full credit to England for an inspiring World Cup, and to Japan for getting to a second straight World Cup final.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:51 PM EDT
Three weeks from tonight are the Gold Cup semifinals, with the final on July 26 in Philadelphia.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
From Brandi Chastain and Jeb Brovsky to total strangers from England and beyond, my goodness, people are trying to console Laura Bassett.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
United says it remains committed to bringing MLS to Minnesota, and it’s worth wondering if the rival Minnesota group is hampering progress.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
Defending champion Japan advances to second straight Women’s World Cup final.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:20 PM EDT
Big story for Dortmund, even if it’s a bit under-the-radar.
- 2015 Gold Cup – Group A preview: USMNT favorites over Honduras, Panama, Haiti 0
- Clint Dempsey replaced by Michael Bradley as USMNT captain for Gold Cup 5
- Despite devastating World Cup exit, England’s women inspired a nation 6
- US ask Switzerland to extradite seven FIFA officials 0
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 10
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2