May 7, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
10. San Jose Earthquakes – Would Steven Lenhart’s presence have been enough Saturday to get the Earthquakes over the hump against Montreal? Frank Yallop’s men rallied from two goals behind to get the draw, but might they have found the game-winner, too? Or what if Alan Gordon was not similarly suspended? We’ll never know. Behave, guys!
9. Colorado Rapids – The men from DSG Park have learned how to win the close ones, with three 1-0 victories in their last five contests. They have quietly climbed into fifth place, but the next pair will be real bruisers, at Columbus and at San Jose.
8. Real Salt Lake – Young forward Joao Plata needs to be better near goal, but his overall body of work was solid in replacing injured DP Alvaro Saborio last Saturday. Javier Morales was lively, too, in a 2-0 win over Vancouver. Reports of his demise, as they say, may have been exaggerated.
7. LA Galaxy – Some of those young guys who did so well in last week’s win at Real Salt Lake couldn’t quite repeat the feat at home against motivated Houston. One of the young men who does seem to get it done game after game is rookie left back Greg Cochrane, who continues to look impressing in fill-in duty for injured vet Todd Dunivant.
6. Montreal Impact – A 2-2 draw at San Jose doesn’t look too bad, but what team ever feels good about losing a 2-0 lead? The team really misses Davy Arnaud and Patrice Bernier in central midfield, which, by the way, is exactly where much of the trouble started on San Jose’s goals in the big rally at Buck Shaw.
5. Portland Timbers – Last Thursday’s match in Oregon to open Round 10 around the league was sure proof that a scoreless draw can be exciting. Quality was high, and the goalkeeping was exceptional on both sides. The season-ending injury to Mikael Silvestre must be dealt with, but the Timbers seem to be in good shape otherwise, unbeaten in seven straight.
4. Houston Dynamo – Andrew Driver got the big goal, but withdrawn forward Giles Barnes was The Man in a 1-0 win over the LA Galaxy. Make that, a “huge” win over the LA Galaxy in a rematch of the last two MLS Cups. Bobby Boswell was a beast in the back for Houston. A trip into United on Wednesday, so quickly after Sunday’s late contest, will test the depth and fitness.
3. New York Red Bulls – Just when Roy Miller was getting his groove back, a kitchen accident puts the Red Bulls’ left back in a cast. If it wasn’t for bad luck, this guy would have no luck at all! By the way, with all the star power around Red Bull Arena, it’s easy to overlook guys like Jonny Steele (pictured), who had another nice afternoon in Saturday’s win over Columbus. Mike Petke’s team has won three in a row and four of its last five.
2. Sporting Kansas City – Sporting KC manager Peter Vermes rolled the dice, confidently assessing that his team could snap a two-game losing streak without one of its top men, center back Matt Besler. (Or without right back Chance Myers, for that matter.) While one of the league’s top defenders rested, the team romped, 4-0 over Chivas USA. Graham Zusi rocked in this one.
1. FC Dallas – This is a big week for Schellas Hyndman’s club, with a chance to stretch that lead in the West as Portland and D.C. United visit Texas over the next four days. The week off in Round 10 helped a bunch as center back George John and midfielder Andrew Jacobson – both so important to the Red Stripes – appear fit and ready for the two home matches.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
What are Leicester City, Burnley and Queens Park Rangers all about? Our analysts break it down.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
Who was crowned the best player of the week in the PL?
Sep 22, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Which five goals were the best? Pick your best from two chips, a scissor kick, a belter and a curler.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Gunners and Saints clash, as the third round of the League Cup takes place this week.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Zwanziger: “Medics say they cannot accept responsibility with a World Cup taking place under these conditions.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Joining the NBC Sports crew from the crap part of SoHo, the MiB break down van Gaal’s topsy-turvy day.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
A report documenting FIFA’s internal investigation into alleged World Cup bidding corruption will not be published.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
Gunners defensive woes compounded as Debuchy will be out for over three months.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor takes an in-depth look at the incredible storylines from the PL during Week 5.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
Rog and Davo welcomed guest after guest for a very special pod.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT
Pellegrini on City’s 1-1 draw with Chelsea: “I think we played 90 minutes against a small team trying to defend.”
Sep 22, 2014, 8:32 AM EDT
German midfielder would be exactly what Arsenal need. Will he arrive in January?
Sep 22, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
Will Defoe be heading back to England at the end of the 2014 MLS season? Reports suggest its likely.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
Toronto FC vs. Chivas USA was the only MLS match to occur on Sunday.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Roundup of Serie A and La Liga matches from the weekend.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta thinks the referee let Diego Costa off without a red card during their encounter that spurred a red card for the Argentine.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Barcelona beat Levante 5-0 on Sunday to continue their winning streak in all competitions.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Short written and video recap of Sunday’s games.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Manchester City goalie Joe Hart confirmed that he hadn’t discussed a new contract with the club, and Liverpool is a prime candidate for his services, according to the Metro.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
More racism was thrown at Mario Balotelli, but this time, it appears law enforcement will get involved.
- Premier League Download: Tale of the newly-promoted teams 0
- FIFA Executive: “The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not happen” 3
- Premier League Playback: Legendary Lampard strikes, United’s shambolic implosion 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: A Night of 1,000 Stars 0
- Report: Sami Khedira to seal $20 million Arsenal move in January 1
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0