May 8, 2013, 4:53 PM EDT
In the fight for the final 2 Champions League spots in the Premier League, two sides in the thick of it did battle at Stamford Bridge with neither team able to capitalize, but the result put a little more pressure on the third horse in the race.
An exciting end-to-end match saw Chelsea the more technical and deadly, but it was cancelled out by Tottenham Hotspur’s more inspired play as the two played even. Andre Villas-Boas’s 62nd minute substitute Gylfi Sigurðsson leveled the score to keep their Champions League hopes alive, but it may not be enough.
Spurs went into the match sitting in 5th position by 2 points but a game in hand on 4th place Arsenal. The inability to win means Spurs will now have to rely on Arsenal dropping points to make the biggest European competition next season.
Clint Dempsey made an appearance, subbing onto the pitch in the 70th minute, but the Spurs midfield desperately missed injured Belgian Moussa Dembele. This, along with a very poor performance by Tom Huddlestone, caused the Tottenham back line to bear the burden of finding Emmanuel Adebayor and the rest of their attacking options.
Adebayor himself took on some of the responsibility, and possibly turning around his poor form for most of the season. He went almost coast to coast to equalize at 1-1 on a lovely strike from outside the box into the top corner, then flicked a beautiful back heel to Sigurðsson to set up the second score.
Spurs will finish the season at Stoke then home against Sunderland, while Arsenal host Wigan then travel to Newcastle. Chelsea remain in 3rd after the draw with 69 points, while Arsenal are on 4th with 67, and Spurs hang back in 5th with 66.
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0