May 8, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
Napoli secured second place in the Serie A table this season by defeating Bologna 3-0, locking in their place in the Champions League group stage next season in the process.
It’s an emphatic return after missing out on this season’s competition for Napoli.
The Partenopei last made Europe’s most prestigous competition in the 2011/2012 season, finishing second to Bayern Munich in Group A before falling 5-4 on aggregate to Chelsea in the knockout stage’s first round. They missed out last season by 3 points, finishing 5th in the table.
Meanwhile A.C. Milan kept their distance from Fiorentina as the Rossoneri defeated already-relegated Pescara 4-0 thanks to a brace from Mario Balotelli. Since coming over from Manchester City, the outspoken Balotelli has now scored 11 goals in 11 matches, the most of anyone in Serie A over that time period.
Fiorentina, four points back of Milan in 4th, defeated Siena 1-0 to keep pace, but with just two matches remaining in the season their fate now heavily relies on Milan dropping points at the death.
- Theo Walcott signs lucrative four-year contract at Arsenal; Cazorla extends 0
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Lambert to West Brom, Balotelli back to Italy 3
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester United 6
- MLS All Stars 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Kaka powers MLS to win 6
- Men in Blazers podcast: Chelsea’s John Terry joins Rog and Davo 0
- Swiss star Barnetta moves to MLS; Orlando City signs a pair of Europeans 4