May 8, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
Jay-Z’s new agency enterprise Roc Nation Sports has already reeled in Robinson Cano, Victor Cruz, and Skylar Diggins, covering three different sports as it looks to reach into many different markets.
The Sport story says, “Roc Nation is creating a segment focused on sports, and the idea of its creators is to transform players into real multifunctional stars with global impact and visibility, which is why Neymar, who plays for Santos and linked with FC Barcelona for next season, is one of the priorities to be signed on by the entertainment company.”
Roc Nation is Jay-Z’s creation and has a partnership with LA-based talent agency Creative Artists Agency.
Unfortunately for Jay-Z, former Brazilian star Ronaldo beat him to the punch a few years ago, signing Neymar’s rights to his agency 9ine back in 2011. If the American rapper wants to win over Neymar, he’ll almost certainly have to butt heads with Ronaldo.
It’s unknown what effect Neymar signing with Jay-Z would have on his heavily-rumored transfer to Barcelona, but many have speculated that signing on with Jay-Z has increased Robinson Cano’s chances of resigning with the Yankees rather than option to free agency, so we’ll have to see what Roc Nation’s stance will be in the soccer world. If they do in fact intend to create “multifunctional stars with global impact and visability,” it would make sense for him to move to the Spanish giants.
- Late Grabavoy goal prolongs Portland’s agony against Real Salt Lake (video) 0
- Late Blas Pérez goal gives FC Dallas 2-1 win over Toronto FC (video) 1
- D.C. United takes a point out of Columbus, but referee has some explaining to do (video) 1
- Late strike from Manneh allows Vancouver to salvage a point against LA Galaxy (video) 1
- WATCH: All the goals, highlights from Saturday in the Premier League 0
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea blow it, Swansea, Spurs and Palace win 0