Sir Alex Ferguson’s best quotes

May 8, 2013, 9:22 AM EDT

File photo of Britain's Alex Ferguson at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts awards Reuters

One thing Sir Alex Ferguson could never be accused of during his managerial career: holding back when he had something he wanted to say.

Over his 26 years in charge of Manchester United, Ferguson has churned out hundreds of memorable quotes that have left journalists, players, fans and managers in hysterics.

His words often spark fear, laughter and intrigue as Fergie has been in numerous confrontations with officials, the league and other clubs throughout his time in charge at Old Trafford. But that was all for one thing, the success of Manchester United Football Club.

Sit back, relax, grab yourself a nice glass of Rioja (take note Mourinho) and enjoy this list of Ferguson’s best ever quotes. Magic.

On other managers:

On Jose Mourinho: “He was certainly full of it, calling me ‘Boss’ and ‘Big Man’ when we had our post-match drink after the first leg. But it would help if his greetings were accompanied by a decent glass of wine. What he gave me was paint-stripper.”

On Rafael Benitez: “I think he is very concerned about his CV, he refers to it quite a lot.”

On his bust-up with Newcastle boss Alan Pardew:“The press have had a field day. The only person they have not spoken to is Barack Obama because he is busy.”

On Arsène Wenger “They say he’s an intelligent man, right? Speaks five languages. I’ve got a 15-year-old boy from the Ivory Coast who speaks five languages!”

(More: What they’re saying about Ferguson’s retirement)

His Players:

On Gary Neville “If he was an inch taller he’d be the best centre-half in Britain. His father is 6ft 2in – I’d check the milkman.”

On the infamous incident when he kicked a boot and it hit David Beckham in the head :“It was a freakish incident. If I tried it 100 or a million times it couldn’t happen again. If I could I would have carried on playing!”

On Ryan Giggs “I remember the first time I saw him. He was 13 and just floated over the ground like a cocker spaniel chasing a piece of silver paper in the wind.”

On Paul Ince “I used to have a saying that when a player is at his peak, he feels as though he can climb Everest in his slippers. That’s what he was like.”

On Wayne Rooney’s decision to sign a new contract: “Sometimes you look in a field and you see a cow and you think it’s a better cow than the one you’ve got in the field.”

On Real Madrid’s hopes of signing Cristiano Ronaldo: “Do you think I would get into a contract with that mob? Jesus Christ, no chance. I wouldn’t sell them a virus.”

(More: Ferguson retires, so who is next for Manchester United?)

On fierce rivals Manchester City and Liverpool:

On Manchester City’s emergence: “There has been a lot of expectation on Manchester City and with the spending they have done, they have to win something. Sometimes you have a noisy neighbour and have to live with it. You can’t do anything about them.”

On Liverpool “My greatest challenge is not what’s happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their f****** perch. And you can print that.”

On Liverpool’s title hopes in 2007 “You must be joking. Do I look as if I’m a masochist ready to cut myself? How does relegation sound instead?”

On Manchester City’s Carlos Tévez poster “It’s City, isn’t it? They are a small club, with a small mentality. All they can talk about is Manchester United, that’s all they’ve done and they can’t get away from it.”

General Comments:

On the Italian teams and their mind games: “When an Italian tells me it’s pasta on the plate, I check under the sauce to make sure. They are the inventors of the smokescreen.”

On AC Milan striker Filippo Inzaghi: “That lad must have been born offside.”

On United’s dramatic Champions League final victory over Bayern Munich in 1999: “Football, bloody hell.”

On retirement: “The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly. It is the right time.”

Latest Posts
  1. Nigeria’s Vincent Enyeama fearful of Ebola at Africa Cup of Nations

Oct 23, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT

Nigeria's Super Eagle goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama catches the ball during a World Cup 2014 qualifier football match against Ethiopia on October 13, 2013 in Addis Ababas. AFP PHOTO / SIMON MAINA Getty Images

Lille and Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama thinks it would be dangerous to hold the Africa Cup of Nations with the Ebola outbreak.

2. Dunga, Brazil football federation create new code of conduct for national team

Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT

Carlos Dunga

Brazil’s national football team has a new code of conduct under manager Dunga.

3. WATCH: Spurs midfielder Erik Lamela strikes astounding ‘rabona’ goal

Oct 23, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT

FBL-EUR-C3-TOTTENHAM-SHERIFF TIRASPOL

Wonderful touch and power utilized on a first-class goal from Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Erik Lamela.

4. Tottenham striker Harry Kane scores hat trick, then allows goal as emergency netminder

Oct 23, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur's Harry Kane, left, and Aston Villa's Matthew Lowton. AP

Harry Kane notched a hat trick in Tottenham’s Europa League victory over Asteras Tripoli, and he then found himself manning the goal as a netminder following a Hugo Lloris red card.

5. Lille 0-0 Everton: Toffees stay unbeaten in Group H

Oct 23, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT

distin_3083675b Getty Images

Lille and Everton played to a 0-0 draw at Stade Pierre-Mauroy in Europa League group stage competition.

6. Frank Lampard could be fit to play in City’s match vs. West Ham

Oct 23, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT

Lampard AP

Manchester City’s Frank Lampard could be fit to play against West Ham in Premier League competition on Saturday.

7. Cristiano Ronaldo on El Clasico: ‘I won’t be playing against Messi. I’ll be playing against Barcelona.’

Oct 23, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT

cristiano_ronaldo AP

“I won’t be playing against Messi — I’ll be playing against Barcelona,” says Ronaldo, concerning his duel with Barcelona’s Lionel Messi.

8. Brendan Rogers has faith in Balotelli, but noncommittal on striker’s future

Oct 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT

Balotelli AP

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers likes what Mario Balotelli has to offer, but he’s unsure if the forward will last a while at Anfield.

9. VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down

Oct 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

PST Extra - Oct. 23

Will the Blues lose their first game of the season away at Old Trafford on Sunday? JPW and Prindi analyze that and more.

10. Father auctions his son’s allegiance… Manchester United or Manchester City?

Oct 23, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-MAN CITY-MAN UTD Getty Images

Little Eddie won’t have a say in who he supports, but it’s all for a good cause.

11. Sunil Gulati backs Jurgen Klinsmann following MLS dispute, USMNT “on the same page”

Oct 23, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT

GulatiKlinsmann Getty Images

Gulati: “Jurgen is our coach and technical director, and I fully expect that to be the case through to the 2018 World Cup.”

12. Diego Costa remains a doubt for Chelsea amid illness, groin strain

Oct 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

With Costa struggling to make the bench, plus Remy out, Chelsea are running out of strikers.

13. All eyes on Origi: Tim Howard, Everton wary of on-loan Liverpool forward

Oct 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT

Belgium v USA: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Howard: “I know what he likes to do, but that doesn’t mean I will always be capable of stopping him.”

14. MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins

Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT

Cincinnati v Miami Cincinnati v Miami

Atlanta Falcons owner urges Beckham to link up with Miami Dolphins to sort out MLS stadium mess.

15. Everton fans reportedly attacked by gang in Lille ahead of Europa League clash

Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT

FBL-EUR-C3-EVERTON-SUPPORTERS FBL-EUR-C3-EVERTON-SUPPORTERS

A gang of 100 local men reportedly ambushed Everton fans outside city center pub.

16. Report: Dutch star Dirk Kuyt heading to Southampton

Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Will Saints swoop to sign former Liverpool star?

17. Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool?

Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 AM EDT

Liverpool’s players react to Real Madrid humbling, as growing pains continue to spiral out of control.

18. After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings

Oct 23, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT

Klinsmann Getty Images

After two draws in October, the USA drops six places in latest world rankings.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?