Sir Alex: “I have treasured my time as manager of Manchester United”

May 8, 2013, 8:25 AM EDT

BRITAIN SOCCER CHAMPIONS LEAGUE AP

By the end of this season, Sir Alex Ferguson will have managed exactly 1,500 games for Manchester United. An astonishing landmark and a great way to finish his managerial career by lifting the EPL crown.

Ferguson released the following statement on Manchester United’s website, and it has been reveled by his coaching staff that Fergie only informed them of his decision on the training ground in Manchester earlier this morning.

So this is what the man himself had to say, after announcing his retirement.

“The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly. It is the right time.

“It was important to me to leave an organisation in the strongest possible shape and I believe I have done so. The quality of this league winning squad, and the balance of ages within it, bodes well for continued success at the highest level whilst the structure of the youth set-up will ensure that the long-term future of the club remains a bright one.

(More: Ferguson announces retirement, who will replace him?)

“Our training facilities are amongst the finest in global sport and our home Old Trafford is rightfully regarded as one of the leading venues in the world.

“Going forward, I am delighted to take on the roles of both Director and Ambassador for the club. With these activities, along with my many other interests, I am looking forward to the future.

(More: What they’re saying about Sir Alex Ferguson)

“I must pay tribute to my family, their love and support has been essential. My wife Cathy has been the key figure throughout my career, providing a bedrock of both stability and encouragement. Words are not enough to express what this has meant to me.

“As for my players and staff, past and present, I would like to thank them all for a staggering level of professional conduct and dedication that has helped to deliver so many memorable triumphs. Without their contribution the history of this great club would not be as rich.

(More: Moyes to replace Ferguson as next United manager?)

“In my early years, the backing of the board, and Sir Bobby Charlton in particular, gave me the confidence and time to build a football club, rather than just a football team.

“Over the past decade, the Glazer family have provided me with the platform to manage Manchester United to the best of my ability and I have been extremely fortunate to have worked with a talented and trustworthy Chief Executive in David Gill. I am truly grateful to all of them.

“To the fans, thank you. The support you have provided over the years has been truly humbling. It has been an honour and an enormous privilege to have had the opportunity to lead your club and I have treasured my time as manager of Manchester United.”

Latest Posts
  1. A list of Manchester United-linked names to consider in silly season

Jul 31, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT

twitter.com/officialsslazio twitter.com/officialsslazio

Remember when Marco Reus, Dries Mertens and Leighton Baines solidified Manchester United’s status in Europe? Us neither.

2. Rhode Island man sues Cristiano Ronaldo over CR7 trademark

Jul 31, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT

FBL-ESP-CUP-REALMADRID-ATLETICOMADRID Getty Images

Cristiano Ronaldo and Christopher Renzi are looking horns over the CR7 trademark.

3. Report: Ochoa to Malaga is on as Mexican goalkeeper replaces Caballero

Jul 31, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT

Guillermo Ochoa AP

Guillermo Ochoa starred in the 2014 World Cup for Mexico, and now will try to fill Willy Caballero’s shoes at Malaga.

4. Sierra Leone squad banned from traveling as Ebola virus spreads

Jul 31, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT

Sierra Leone Getty Images

As deadly virus continues to spread, the Seychelles refuse to let Sierra Leone travel for qualifier.

5. Video: Pepe spits on Keita; Latter claims past racial slur

Jul 31, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT

Ashley Cole, Pepe AP

Seydou Keita has left Barcelona, but being in a different league has not stopped the animosity between the AS Roma midfielder and Real Madrid’s Pepe.

6. Steven Gerrard: “Luis Suarez too good for Arsenal”

Jul 31, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT

Suarez and Gerrard both nominated for PFA award, as Liverpool dominate. AP

Gerrard: “With all due respect to them, I said to Suarez that he was too good for Arsenal.”

7. SI report: Bayern high on Julian Green, turned down PL loan offers

Jul 31, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT

Bayern Munich's Julian Green fights for the ball with Al-Merrikh's Ramadan Ajab during their friendly soccer match in Doha Reuters

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said several Premier League teams had interest in 19-year-old American striker Julian Green.

8. Eddie Johnson response to Brian Ching’s criticism? “Scoreboard”

Jul 31, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT

South Korea v United States Getty Images

Ching said his former USMNT teammate needs incentive-laden contracts to thrive, while Johnson claims Ching is jealous.

9. Thursday transfer rumor roundup: Kljestan to Galaxy, USMNT’er to Crew?

Jul 31, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT

kljestan Getty Images

Jermaine Jones is not the only US midfielder rumored to come home, while two Red Devils are tipped for Madrid.

10. Testimony in death of Michigan referee provides disturbing glimpse into incident

Jul 31, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT

www.hometownlife.com (Bill Bressler) www.hometownlife.com (Bill Bressler)

An altercation between a player and referee in a men’s league game left the official dead. What followed has been anything but pretty.

11. Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches”

Jul 31, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT

Portugal Champions League Soccer AP

The World Cup praise has been flowing for Klinsmann in international circles, though American analysts like Alexi Lalas, Eric Wynalda and others have condemned the manager’s approach as too cautious.

12. Neymar’s recovery from World Cup back injury “almost 100 percent”

Jul 31, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT

Neymar AP

Neymar’s health could be the key to whether Barcelona can weather the Luis Suarez suspension in pursuit of La Liga’s title.

13. Glazer family to make $150 million in Manchester United stock sale

Jul 31, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT

Britain Soccer Premier League

The Red Devils’ owners are making more of the club public following the death of patriarch Malcolm, and the club could lose adidas money if on-field success doesn’t return.

14. Reports: Jermaine Jones coming to Chicago, move welcomed by Fire

Jul 31, 2014, 7:51 AM EDT

Jermaine Jones Instagram Jermaine Jones Instagram

Since putting in a good effort for the USMNT at the World Cup, Jones had been sorting out his next career move and partying with celebrities like Paris Hilton and Mike Tyson.

15. MLS Snapshot: Real Salt Lake 1-1 New York Red Bulls

Jul 31, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT

Chicago Fire v New York Red Bulls Getty Images

Thierry Henry’s second half equalizer takes earns a point at Rio Tinto.

16. MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 3-0 Colorado Rapids

Jul 30, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT

New York Red Bulls v New England Revolution Getty Images

The Revs’ eight-game losing streak ends thanks to another strong night from Lee Nguyen.

17. MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 3-0 Toronto FC

Jul 30, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT

D.C. United's Eddie Johnson scored for the first time since being traded to the club this winter. His 84th minute goal left his team's game with Montréal tied, 1-1. (Photo: AP Photos) AP

The Red fall nine points back of second place United in the Eastern Conference.

18. Southampton’s replacement for Luke Shaw: Ryan Bertrand, on loan

Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 3.46.35 PM

24-year-old defender loaned out for the seventh time.

19. Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland as Mexican U-19 player attempts to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl

Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 4.26.41 PM

Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.

20. Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández

Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT

Chicharito Getty Images

Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.