Sir Alex: “I have treasured my time as manager of Manchester United”

May 8, 2013, 8:25 AM EST

BRITAIN SOCCER CHAMPIONS LEAGUE AP

By the end of this season, Sir Alex Ferguson will have managed exactly 1,500 games for Manchester United. An astonishing landmark and a great way to finish his managerial career by lifting the EPL crown.

Ferguson released the following statement on Manchester United’s website, and it has been reveled by his coaching staff that Fergie only informed them of his decision on the training ground in Manchester earlier this morning.

So this is what the man himself had to say, after announcing his retirement.

“The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly. It is the right time.

“It was important to me to leave an organisation in the strongest possible shape and I believe I have done so. The quality of this league winning squad, and the balance of ages within it, bodes well for continued success at the highest level whilst the structure of the youth set-up will ensure that the long-term future of the club remains a bright one.

(More: Ferguson announces retirement, who will replace him?)

“Our training facilities are amongst the finest in global sport and our home Old Trafford is rightfully regarded as one of the leading venues in the world.

“Going forward, I am delighted to take on the roles of both Director and Ambassador for the club. With these activities, along with my many other interests, I am looking forward to the future.

(More: What they’re saying about Sir Alex Ferguson)

“I must pay tribute to my family, their love and support has been essential. My wife Cathy has been the key figure throughout my career, providing a bedrock of both stability and encouragement. Words are not enough to express what this has meant to me.

“As for my players and staff, past and present, I would like to thank them all for a staggering level of professional conduct and dedication that has helped to deliver so many memorable triumphs. Without their contribution the history of this great club would not be as rich.

(More: Moyes to replace Ferguson as next United manager?)

“In my early years, the backing of the board, and Sir Bobby Charlton in particular, gave me the confidence and time to build a football club, rather than just a football team.

“Over the past decade, the Glazer family have provided me with the platform to manage Manchester United to the best of my ability and I have been extremely fortunate to have worked with a talented and trustworthy Chief Executive in David Gill. I am truly grateful to all of them.

“To the fans, thank you. The support you have provided over the years has been truly humbling. It has been an honour and an enormous privilege to have had the opportunity to lead your club and I have treasured my time as manager of Manchester United.”

Latest Posts
  1. Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months

Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 AM EST

Wilshere AP

Wilshere has surgery on left ankle, as young midfielder set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.

2. Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more

Nov 27, 2014, 8:51 AM EST

Bradley, Stabaek

Bradley opens up about his first season at Stabaek, his future in Europe and much more.

3. USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up

Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST

Ireland US Soccer AP

Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.

4. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

5. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

6. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

7. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

8. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

9. Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through

Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.

10. Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere

Nov 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EST

All the action from the penultimate games in Groups A-D, as two teams booked their spot in the last 16.

11. Paul Mitchell named Tottenham’s new head of recruitment

Nov 26, 2014, 5:19 PM EST

Paul Mitchell

The raid on Southampton continues, as their recruiting guru heads to Spurs.

12. Arsenal 2-0 Dortmund: Sanogo and Sanchez send the Gunners through to the Knockout Stage

Nov 26, 2014, 4:43 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

It was an upbeat display from the Gunners, who move on to the Champions League knockout stage.

13. Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope

Nov 26, 2014, 4:42 PM EST

Reds cough up late goal, but can still advance to the last 16 of the UCL with a win over Basel in their final group game.

14. VIDEO: Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo scores 71st Champions League goal

Nov 26, 2014, 4:10 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL

Watch Ronaldo go level with Raul as he puts some pressure on Messi.

15. At The Half – Arsenal 1-0 Dortmund: Sanogo’s strike the difference

Nov 26, 2014, 3:41 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League

Good start for the Arsenal, scoring early through Yaya Sanogo.

16. Pochettino wants more rest between European and Premier League matches

Nov 26, 2014, 3:10 PM EST

Tottenham Hotspur FC Training and Press Conference Getty Images

As Tottenham continue to struggle, Mauricio Pochettino believes his team needs more rest between competitions.

17. Zenit St. Petersburg 1-0 Benfica: Danny strike eliminates Portuguese champs

Nov 26, 2014, 2:27 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ZENIT-BENFICA Getty Images

The Zenit skipper earned three points for the home side as Benfica’s Champions League dreams ended in St. Petersburg.

18. LIVE – Champions League: Arsenal host Dortmund, Liverpool face Ludogorets

Nov 26, 2014, 1:58 PM EST

Britain Soccer Champions League AP

Follow all the action from the UCL’s eight games on Wednesday, right here.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday