Sir Alex: “I have treasured my time as manager of Manchester United”

May 8, 2013, 8:25 AM EDT

BRITAIN SOCCER CHAMPIONS LEAGUE AP

By the end of this season, Sir Alex Ferguson will have managed exactly 1,500 games for Manchester United. An astonishing landmark and a great way to finish his managerial career by lifting the EPL crown.

Ferguson released the following statement on Manchester United’s website, and it has been reveled by his coaching staff that Fergie only informed them of his decision on the training ground in Manchester earlier this morning.

So this is what the man himself had to say, after announcing his retirement.

“The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly. It is the right time.

“It was important to me to leave an organisation in the strongest possible shape and I believe I have done so. The quality of this league winning squad, and the balance of ages within it, bodes well for continued success at the highest level whilst the structure of the youth set-up will ensure that the long-term future of the club remains a bright one.

(More: Ferguson announces retirement, who will replace him?)

“Our training facilities are amongst the finest in global sport and our home Old Trafford is rightfully regarded as one of the leading venues in the world.

“Going forward, I am delighted to take on the roles of both Director and Ambassador for the club. With these activities, along with my many other interests, I am looking forward to the future.

(More: What they’re saying about Sir Alex Ferguson)

“I must pay tribute to my family, their love and support has been essential. My wife Cathy has been the key figure throughout my career, providing a bedrock of both stability and encouragement. Words are not enough to express what this has meant to me.

“As for my players and staff, past and present, I would like to thank them all for a staggering level of professional conduct and dedication that has helped to deliver so many memorable triumphs. Without their contribution the history of this great club would not be as rich.

(More: Moyes to replace Ferguson as next United manager?)

“In my early years, the backing of the board, and Sir Bobby Charlton in particular, gave me the confidence and time to build a football club, rather than just a football team.

“Over the past decade, the Glazer family have provided me with the platform to manage Manchester United to the best of my ability and I have been extremely fortunate to have worked with a talented and trustworthy Chief Executive in David Gill. I am truly grateful to all of them.

“To the fans, thank you. The support you have provided over the years has been truly humbling. It has been an honour and an enormous privilege to have had the opportunity to lead your club and I have treasured my time as manager of Manchester United.”

Latest Posts
  1. MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 0-0 Seattle Sounders

Mar 28, 2015, 10:41 PM EDT

Zach Loyd, FC Dallas Zach Loyd, FC Dallas

A disappointing result for FCD, given Seattle’s lack of Dempsey and Martins, but a great one considering their early red card.

2. MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 Portland Timbers

Mar 28, 2015, 10:06 PM EDT

Vancouver Whitecaps Vancouver Whitecaps

Three more points for Vancouver, who win it late on Robert Earnshaw’s Whitecaps debut. He scores for everyone.

3. MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 1-0 LA Galaxy

Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT

D.C. United D.C. United

It was the late, late, late show at RFK Stadium, and despite being thoroughly outplayed, D.C. United go home with three points.

4. MLS Snapshot: New York City FC 0-1 Sporting Kansas City

Mar 28, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT

Ike Opara, Sporting Kansas City Ike Opara, Sporting Kansas City

Sporting KC get their first victory of the season, while NYCFC suffer their first defeat of the year — and history.

5. EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Netherlands, Italy rescue draws; Bale, Wales go top

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Gareth Bale, Wales Gareth Bale, Wales

It wasn’t a great day to be a traditional European giant, but it was a great day to be Gareth Bale and Wales.

6. MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 2-1 San Jose Earthquakes

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Kelyn Rowe, New England Revolution Kelyn Rowe, New England Revolution

A dominant performance — and the three points to match — from the Revs…finally.

7. Orlando City SC field a four-man bench due to injuries, MLS playing through int’l window

Mar 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT

Kaka, Orlando City SC Kaka, Orlando City SC

Think that MLS playing through int’l windows isn’t a big deal? Let’s ask Orlando City what they think about it.

8. If you only read one story on Sol Campbell today, let it be this one.

Mar 28, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT

Preview Screening of 'Invincibles' Getty Images

Campbell was capped 73 times, and is England’s second-youngest captain. Clearly he knows that, too.

9. WATCH: Gareth Bale just scored a nice free kick for Wales… if you’re into that sort of thing

Mar 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT

Israel Wales Euro Soccer AP

A win would give Wales a two-point lead in Group B with a game-in-hand on both Israel and Cyprus.

10. Freddy Adu has joined a new club, this one in Finland

Mar 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EDT

CBMeXdCVIAAteBM-300x225

The Canaries finished in 7th place last season in the Veikkausliiga, Finland’s top-flight.

11. Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter?

Mar 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT

Denmark Soccer Usa AP

Should the States’ losses in friendlies represent anything other than a concern at the lack of US youth readiness for the big stage?

12. Liverpool’s Glen Johnson linked with summer move to, January start date with Barcelona

Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT

Liverpool Training Session Getty Images

This likely comes as a surprise to Liverpool fans, as Johnson is widely treated rightly or wrongly as a scapegoat by Reds supporters.

13. Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT

Mar 28, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT

Denmark US Soccer AP

Does the embattled USMNT coach have a point? I’m again bracing for the comment section when I say… I think so.

14. Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video)

Mar 28, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT

Russia's Igor Akinfeev hit by flare at Montenegro, match later abandoned Getty Images

Given UEFA president Michel Platini’s concerned words and warning about fan violence just this week, could he do something even more harsh?

15. Marsch critical of Klinsmann’s experimentation, lack of USMNT “identity”

Mar 28, 2015, 7:55 AM EDT

Jesse Marsch AP

The States are 1-4 in their last five matches, all four coming on the road (Colombia, Ireland, Chile and Denmark).

16. Injury update: England likely facing Italy without Welbeck, Sterling

Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

England v Slovenia - EURO 2016 Qualifier Getty Images

Both Danny Welbeck and Raheem Sterling will most likely be out of England’s friendly vs. Italy on Tuesday.

Week 30: Headline PL moment