May 9, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
For the record, Jozy Altidore’s Dutch club had already qualified for Europa League action next year, a significant achievement for a smaller club in a smaller European league.
But also for the record, it is still very, very cool that U.S. international Jozy Altidore has scored the game-winner for his team in attaining Dutch Cup glory, also a massive achievement for AZ Alkmaar.
AZ was underdog to PSV in Thursday’s final of the Dutch Cup in Rotterdam. His first half goal provided the margin as the club went on to a 2-1 win, claiming its first Dutch Cup since 1982.
So the U.S. international’s current club is bound for tournament play in the continent; the KNVB Cup winner gets a Europa League berth, although PSV already has one in pocked by virtue of its impending league finish. As for the man himself …
This was almost surely one of Altidore’s final games for the lowland’s club, where his career has taken off in ways that it did not during previous, far less productive stops at Spain’s Villarreal and England’s Hull City. AZ has one more match in league play (although there’s an outside chance the club could still finish 8th and find itself in the Eredivisie playoffs.)
Either way, Altidore is elsewhere-bound this summer. And why shouldn’t he be? With 31 goals across all competitions this year, the former New York Red Bull now has 50 goals in two years for AZ.
Don’t forget, Altidore struck twice back in late February as AZ stunned heavily favored Dutch giant Ajax in the tournament semifinal:
Altidore’s goal Thursday:
<br /><a href=”http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzq2me_altidore_sport” target=”_blank”>Altidore</a> <i>by <a href=”http://www.dailymotion.com/Counterpoint1″ target=”_blank”>Counterpoint1</a></i>
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 2
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 6
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0
- Liverpool complete $20 million signing of Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton 1
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup roundup: Union, Orlando, Chicago move on as Charlotte bounced 2
- With the World Cup on the line, the USWNT gave us a vintage performance to savor 3