May 9, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
For the record, Jozy Altidore’s Dutch club had already qualified for Europa League action next year, a significant achievement for a smaller club in a smaller European league.
But also for the record, it is still very, very cool that U.S. international Jozy Altidore has scored the game-winner for his team in attaining Dutch Cup glory, also a massive achievement for AZ Alkmaar.
AZ was underdog to PSV in Thursday’s final of the Dutch Cup in Rotterdam. His first half goal provided the margin as the club went on to a 2-1 win, claiming its first Dutch Cup since 1982.
So the U.S. international’s current club is bound for tournament play in the continent; the KNVB Cup winner gets a Europa League berth, although PSV already has one in pocked by virtue of its impending league finish. As for the man himself …
This was almost surely one of Altidore’s final games for the lowland’s club, where his career has taken off in ways that it did not during previous, far less productive stops at Spain’s Villarreal and England’s Hull City. AZ has one more match in league play (although there’s an outside chance the club could still finish 8th and find itself in the Eredivisie playoffs.)
Either way, Altidore is elsewhere-bound this summer. And why shouldn’t he be? With 31 goals across all competitions this year, the former New York Red Bull now has 50 goals in two years for AZ.
Don’t forget, Altidore struck twice back in late February as AZ stunned heavily favored Dutch giant Ajax in the tournament semifinal:
Altidore’s goal Thursday:
<br /><a href=”http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzq2me_altidore_sport” target=”_blank”>Altidore</a> <i>by <a href=”http://www.dailymotion.com/Counterpoint1″ target=”_blank”>Counterpoint1</a></i>
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 0
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 2
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio