Three Good Questions: U.S. international/FC Kansas City midfielder Lauren Cheney

May 10, 2013, 6:40 PM EST

Scotland v United States Getty Images

Earlier this week, FC Kansas City playmaker Lauren Cheney talked to ProSoccerTalk about the Blues’ impending trip to Rochester, their Saturday match featured as ProSoccerTalk’s NWSL Game of the Week. While much of that conversation was featured in today’s profile, there were enough telling leftovers to dust off an old PST favorite: Three Good Questions.

Through one month of the NWSL season, FC Kansas City’s undefeated, with Cheney serving as the focal point of a team that’s deployed her in a somewhat new role. At UCLA and in Women’s Professional Soccer, the U.S. international was predominantly a striker, while a wealth of forward talent at the national team level has seen the versatile Cheney slowly pushed into a midfield role.

Kansas City, however, has taken advantage of Cheney’s versatility by making her into the playmaker in a 4-2-3-1 formation – playing behind Renae Cueller, in line with midfielders Sinead Farrelly and Kristie Mewis. Given the freedom to move as she sees fit in the attacking phase, Cheney’s been one of the league’s best conductors.

Here are three good questions for the U.S. international. We start by talking about the team’s performance in Tukwila, where Kansas City improved to 2-0-1 thanks to a 1-0 win over Reign FC:

1.) As a team, you had so much possession over the first 30 minutes against Seattle (last Saturday). You in particular, watching your movement, sometimes you’ll come back and show for the ball, if a marker trails you, you’ll peel off and go back upfield. How do you see your role within that attack?

I always want the ball, no matter what position I’m playing. If that’s forward or midfield, I’m always going to check back for the ball sometimes just because I like to get touches. Having a Sinead or a Kristie around me makes it so much easier because I can read off their movement. I’m able to get open more often and keep possession – just have those small touches. I think my movement has been pretty good, and I love it. I’m able to run at the back line if I want to or sometimes just pay a one-touch ball off.

2a.) When did it become apparent to you that you were going to play this role? When you got allocated, some people naturally assumed you would go back to being a number nine.

[FCKC head coach Vlatko Andonovski] did a great job of picking his team. I think the whole time his idea of me was playing a little bit behind the forward and running at players. The whole time I’ve been here in Kansas City, I’ve known this was going to be my role. He’s given us a little bit of freedom. Our ideas and our creativity – he’s given us the freedom to do that. He’s made that apparent from the beginning.

(follow-up on Andonovski, the 36-year-old Macedonian who was brought in from the Missouri Comets indoor team to serve as FCKC’s head coach)

2b.) I just met Vlatko for the first time on Saturday. He was so happy after that performance – his smile was so big. How would you describe him as a coach? What is his style like?

I like what you said there: Vladko had a big smile. You can tell Vladko’s passion for the game. His style is definitely the way that we play. He wants us to play out of the back. He doesn’t want to play long ball. He wants us to have heart and be creative.

Vlatko’s a nice, genuine person off the field, but he demands a lot of us. He wants us to be the hardest workers. He expects us to work hard. He expects us to string together passes and create things, and create opportunities. He’s not scared to let us know when it’s not good enough, but he also is very excited when it is good. He’s sure to let us know that, too.

It’s been awesome playing for Vlatko. He’s really helped our team develop to having a style. I hope that continues the rest of the season.

3.) There is this perception, and it started at the beginning of the year, that there was going to be a big two in this league – your team and Portland. Through one month of the season, there’s been little to prove otherwise. What is your perception of the overall power structure in the league?

I had heard always Portland: top of the line. We had garnered some good press, I would say, but you look at a Boston with Sydney Leroux scoring three goals, Heather O’Reilly scoring two. There are obviously teams that are going to threaten that.

It’s not until every team plays each other will we really know the drop off or who’s were. Right now, Portland’s done well, we’ve done well, but I think Boston’s done well, too. I think those gaps will continue to close the longer teams get to play together.

Latest Posts
  1. New England Revolution, 90 minutes from MLS Cup, must simply avoid second-leg disaster vs. Red Bulls

Nov 27, 2014, 11:15 PM EST

Steve Clark, Lee Nguyen, Charlie Davies Steve Clark, Lee Nguyen, Charlie Davies

It’s been a long time since the New England Revolution lost by mulitple goals, which the New York Red Bulls must achieve to reach MLS Cup 2014.

2. Europa League roundup: Spurs, Celtic advance; Inter Milan, Fiorentina clinch top spots

Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 PM EST

The big Europa League sides have begun to advance to the knockout round, with a few more very close to joining them.

3. Everton win Europa League group, qualify for knockout round

Nov 27, 2014, 4:09 PM EST

Toffees seal spot in Europa League knockout rounds after terrific away day display.

4. Five investigated, including three FIFA execs, in World Cup corruption probe

Nov 27, 2014, 3:17 PM EST

64th FIFA Congress 64th FIFA Congress

Three FIFA ExCo members and German legend latest to be under the spotlight.

5. Pele moved to “special care” unit as treatment continues

Nov 27, 2014, 2:05 PM EST

Edson Arantes do Nascimento, Pele AP

Brazilian legend hospitalized for second time this month.

6. English FA charge Dave Whelan after anti-Semitic, racist comments

Nov 27, 2014, 1:15 PM EST

Barnsley v Wigan Athletic - Sky Bet Championship Getty Images

Whelan charged by FA over accusations of anti-Semitic, racist remarks.

7. VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League

Nov 27, 2014, 10:55 AM EST

Hull City v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Getty Images

Can Spurs and Everton make a top four charge? Will Saints stun Man City?

8. Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months

Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 AM EST

Wilshere AP

Wilshere has surgery on left ankle, as young midfielder set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.

9. Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more

Nov 27, 2014, 8:51 AM EST

Bradley, Stabaek

Bradley opens up about his first season at Stabaek, his future in Europe and much more.

10. USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up

Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST

Ireland US Soccer AP

Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.

11. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

12. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

13. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

14. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

15. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

16. Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through

Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday