May 10, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
At least Thierry Henry is being right up front about his availability for Saturday’s match in New England; We’ll call his status “iffy.”
Henry doesn’t like to play on artificial turf. He’s hardly the first big star to show outright disdain for the fake stuff; David Beckham had a famous ill regard, as well. It’s a bit of an issue in MLS because four teams play their home matches on artificial turf. It’s not quite as much of a sticky wicket for teams in the East (like New York), because three-quarters of the faux field brigade is in the West.
Still, it’s an issue.
Previously this season, Henry bowed out of a match in Montreal, where early-season matches are held indoors. (The team’s usual home ground, Stade Saputo, is outdoors and anchored with a natural grass field.) How much was the turf, and how much was an ongoing knee ailment at that time, only Henry and perhaps the team’s medical staff could truly say.
This time around, Henry has just said, in effect, “it’s turf, so I don’t know.”
I’ve got to speak with Mike [Petke, the Red Bulls manager]. I’ve never played there, so we’ll see how it is.”
Henry is among the league’s goal scoring leaders, one off the pace-setters. He has five goals in 11 games in 2013.
Saturday’s contest from Gillette Stadium kicks off at 7:30 E.T.; it’s free this weekend on MLS Live.
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014