May 10, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
At least Thierry Henry is being right up front about his availability for Saturday’s match in New England; We’ll call his status “iffy.”
Henry doesn’t like to play on artificial turf. He’s hardly the first big star to show outright disdain for the fake stuff; David Beckham had a famous ill regard, as well. It’s a bit of an issue in MLS because four teams play their home matches on artificial turf. It’s not quite as much of a sticky wicket for teams in the East (like New York), because three-quarters of the faux field brigade is in the West.
Still, it’s an issue.
Previously this season, Henry bowed out of a match in Montreal, where early-season matches are held indoors. (The team’s usual home ground, Stade Saputo, is outdoors and anchored with a natural grass field.) How much was the turf, and how much was an ongoing knee ailment at that time, only Henry and perhaps the team’s medical staff could truly say.
This time around, Henry has just said, in effect, “it’s turf, so I don’t know.”
I’ve got to speak with Mike [Petke, the Red Bulls manager]. I’ve never played there, so we’ll see how it is.”
Henry is among the league’s goal scoring leaders, one off the pace-setters. He has five goals in 11 games in 2013.
Saturday’s contest from Gillette Stadium kicks off at 7:30 E.T.; it’s free this weekend on MLS Live.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:12 AM EST
What definitely will not happen in the upcoming Major League Soccer season.
Mar 6, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
Who’s hot and who’s not? It’s all change in the latest PL Power Rankings, as sides shuffle with 10 games to go:
Mar 6, 2014, 7:54 PM EST
The Supporters’ Shield winners could be without Henry, Cahill, and Olave on Saturday in Vancouver.
Mar 6, 2014, 6:39 PM EST
Atlanta will have to stumble to miss out on expansion, with Minneapolis also looking like a favorite to snare on of the league’s next franchises.
Mar 6, 2014, 5:23 PM EST
No. 1 was easy. It’s 2 through 10 that were hard.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:25 PM EST
Azerbaijan, Turkey, and Nigeria will help the U.S. prepare for Brazil.
Mar 6, 2014, 3:18 PM EST
The Black and Red give their newest star the deal Seattle couldn’t.
Mar 6, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
Can the Baggies seal an unlikely double over United? Watch live on NBCSN, Saturday, 7:45 a.m. ET:
Mar 6, 2014, 2:33 PM EST
With the 2014 season just a few days away, here is the full MLS on NBC TV schedule:
Mar 6, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
Southampton’s star man shone for England once again, as many clamber for Lallana to start this summer in Brazil:
Mar 6, 2014, 1:28 PM EST
Injured and unfit to play in the Premier League, what in the world were the Cottagers thinking shelling out a club record $20 million for damaged goods during a relegation battle?
Mar 6, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
Fortunately West Brom is playing United, who have proven themselves capable of dropping the ball against the most measly of opponents.
Jurgen Klinsmann says it would’ve been “half a miracle” if U.S. clicked vs. Ukraine, USMNT missed MLS contingent
Mar 6, 2014, 11:54 AM EST
Remember one thing before analyzing the USA’s defeat to Ukraine… half of the usual squad weren’t available for selection.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:38 AM EST
Arsenal star injured on England duty, after playing on despite suffering early injury:
Mar 6, 2014, 10:27 AM EST
Horror tackle hands Vietnam international defender Tran Dinh Dong record ban:
Mar 6, 2014, 9:40 AM EST
Super Mario set to turn up at Stamford Bridge?
Mar 6, 2014, 8:55 AM EST
Young child runs onto pitch, but instead of being escorted away… the Brazilian national team give him a moment to remember forever:
Mar 6, 2014, 7:37 AM EST
With game time dwindling with the Red Devils, Chicharito may move on:
Mar 6, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Miguel Herrera welcomed his European-based talent back into the team on Wednesday night.
Mar 5, 2014, 11:21 PM EST
Even the passing grades were low as the U.S.’s bubble players failed to impress in Cyprus.
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 2
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 2
- Eddie Johnson got paid: New D.C. United forward signs Designated Player deal 2
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season