May 11, 2013, 10:32 PM EDT
Ordinarily, there would be nothing special about the league leaders stacking a little more misery on the worst team in MLS.
The “worst” of which we speak at the moment is D.C. United, of course, losers of seven in a row. That’s a club record and then some.
But in this case, we’ll call it a “worthy” three points for FC Dallas, whose 2-1 win over the bunch from RFK on Saturday was accomplished without several important starters.
Center back George John and David Ferreira, probably Dallas’ two most important men all things considered, remained sidelined through injury. Ferreira left after 53 minutes of his team’s 1-1 mid-week draw with Portland. What was first described as “cramps” is apparently a hamstring issue. So, we’ll see about that one, because FC Dallas certainly misses some creative ability and a lot of ability to possess the ball without it’s Colombian playmaker.
Also missing was Andrew Jacobson, whose midfield ball winning ability was sorely missed.
Goalkeeper Raul Fernandez was rested for Schellas Hyndman’s team, and Kenny Cooper was left on the bench to start Saturday. Of course, that one is a wash since Dallas has veteran striker Eric Hassli, who made his first MLS start since last October.
No matter in the end. The home team had enough for a 2-1 win thanks to Jackson’s first half strike and a bundled in second half goal off a corner kick.
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- What a photo: Lazio plays to near-empty Stadio Olimpico as fans protest club president 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear