May 11, 2013, 7:16 PM EDT
What a day for Seattle. Scratch that. What a week!
The Sounders have clearly turned a corner.
Saturday’s resounding 4-0 win over was every bit as dominant as it sounds. Don’t let the Earthquakes’ final edge in shots (16-14) fool you; Frank Yallop’s visitors from down the coast were never really in this one. The frustration was evident in the end for the proud visitors, as none other than Chris Wondolowski – a highly respected pro’s pro – lashed out at Seattle striker Eddie Johnson with a petulant little kick.
Indeed, it was a splendid day for the Rave Green, who have dragged bottom in the West all year and, not so long ago, were humbled as the league’s last winless team. Unbeaten in their last five (3-0-2), the Sounders just climbed to .500 for the first time this year.
In fact, Saturday’s big result capped an extraordinary week, one that began with Wednesday’s mid-week win over Sporting Kansas City. That clearly lit the fuse of confidence, as the Sounders went up within the half hour Saturday on the first of two Lamar Neagle goals.
Mauro Rosales’ swell free kick just before intermission took more steam from the visitors, and Neagle’s second at 54 minutes removed all practical doubt. (Yes, even against the league’s comeback kings.)
By the way, this was such a good afternoon that the Sounders even rinsed the bad tasted of so many bad recent meals the Earthquakes. San Jose went 3-0 against the Sigi Schmid’s team last year.
Highlights from Saturday’s glorious afternoon in the state of Washington:
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs