May 11, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
Two important points on Montreal’s 3-2 win over Real Salt Lake today:
The ability to rebound from a poor result is one mark of a good team. To wit: the men of Stade Saputo clearly didn’t sit around feeling sorry for themselves following last week’s setback at home against New York, when a little Thierry Henry magic stole the evening late.
All the evidence was there in a win over RSL, which was missing its top center back and top striker to injury, but did have that well-balanced midfield to act as a stabilizing arm. Montreal had its midfield in good, working order, as Patrice Bernier was back for his second consecutive start after a recent injury, and Justin Mapp continued to perform in his top gear.
The other important point to make is that Marco Schallibaum’s club is impressively negotiating a brutal stretch of matches. Saturday’s contest in Montreal was the club’s sixth in 18 days; the Impact is 3-2-1 in that stretch, which includes a successful home-and-away semifinal series win over Toronto in the Amway Canadian Championship.
It’s not quite over yet, this tough window of stacked up matches; up Wednesday is a visit from Canadian rival Vancouver, and the Impact will want to be sharp for that one, Canadian competitiveness being what it is.
Until then, they can feel good about coming out on top in a match with all kinds of offense, as the teams combined for 38 shots.
Here are the full highlights from windy Stade Saputo, including Matteo Ferrari’s stoppage time game-winner:
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- WATCH: Stoke City fans erupt into “Delilah” chant during win over Arsenal 0
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 0
- WATCH: PST Extra – Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 3
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Everton is Focused on Beating Arsenal
- Moyes and Martinez Back Cleverley
- Luis Suarez Continues to Say the Right Things
- RSL 2014 Season Preview
- Portland Timbers Season Preview
- Toronto FC Season Preview
- Duvall, Oyongo & Stevenson Sign Contracts with NY Red Bulls
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire