May 11, 2013, 4:18 PM EDT
We need to keep saying it: Jack McInerney is just 20 years old.
And we should start saying this, too: Even if the young Philadelphia Union striker is just 20 years old, and even at the risk of making too much of his sensational, ongoing season of goal-scoring bliss, at some point you simply cannot write this off as a fast start that is destined to fizzle.
McInerney supplied yet another one Saturday at Toyota Park, his league-leading seventh of 2013. This one was in the 75th of a close one against Chicago, which lost at home for the third time this year, dropping a 1-0 result to the Union.
Chicago had its chances too, the best probably went to Patrick Nyarko. But McInerney is doing what too many strikers around the league just cannot: consistently burying the chances that come his way.
How much could Chicago, struggling mightily at the striker position this year as Sherjill MacDonald continues to under-deliver, use a guy like the one they call “Jack Mac?”
Here’s the full highlight pack from NBC Sports Network:
.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- The great Southampton exodus continues. Why is this happening? 0
- Arsenal confirm $27 million signing of Calum Chambers 0
- Manchester City host #AskJesus (Navas) Twitter chat, hilarious comments ensue 1
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 1
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5