May 11, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Where Seattle Sounders midfielder Mauro Rosales is concerned, this could have been the match everyone remembered for his silly header miss from six yards.
Brad Evans had arranged such a wonderful chance for the onrushing Rosales, who sneaked in from his right-midfield spot but absolutely slaughtered a diving header, coming nowhere near the San Jose Earthquakes’ goal.
But never mind that. Fans around CenturyLink won’t be remember Rosales’ afternoon for the chance he blew. Rather, they’ll remember how his beautifully struck free kick sneaked just inside the near post, eliminating any chance that goalkeeper Jon Busch might have had at a save.
The goal, just before halftime on a brilliant, sunny day in Seattle had to be emotionally devastating to the visitors, who didn’t have much on offense before intermission but were about to get into the changing room behind my just one goal.
Instead … this:
- FIFA ethics committee bans 11 current, former officials from all football-related activities 3
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, threatens to boycott congress 5
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter releases first statement since overnight arrests 11
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 6
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 6
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 8