May 11, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Where Seattle Sounders midfielder Mauro Rosales is concerned, this could have been the match everyone remembered for his silly header miss from six yards.
Brad Evans had arranged such a wonderful chance for the onrushing Rosales, who sneaked in from his right-midfield spot but absolutely slaughtered a diving header, coming nowhere near the San Jose Earthquakes’ goal.
But never mind that. Fans around CenturyLink won’t be remember Rosales’ afternoon for the chance he blew. Rather, they’ll remember how his beautifully struck free kick sneaked just inside the near post, eliminating any chance that goalkeeper Jon Busch might have had at a save.
The goal, just before halftime on a brilliant, sunny day in Seattle had to be emotionally devastating to the visitors, who didn’t have much on offense before intermission but were about to get into the changing room behind my just one goal.
Instead … this:
- Monday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: PSG’s $133 million Ronaldo bid, Stones to Chelsea 1
- Amid reports of journalist brawl, Mexico boss Miguel Herrera looks ahead to USMNT showdown 4
- Manchester United lack creativity to challenge top clubs, says Louis van Gaal 6
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Arsenal 9
- Mexico 3-1 Jamaica: El Tri overpowers Cinderella story to win Gold Cup 30
- Frank Lampard ruled out of MLS All-Star game 2