May 11, 2013, 5:40 PM EST
Where Seattle Sounders midfielder Mauro Rosales is concerned, this could have been the match everyone remembered for his silly header miss from six yards.
Brad Evans had arranged such a wonderful chance for the onrushing Rosales, who sneaked in from his right-midfield spot but absolutely slaughtered a diving header, coming nowhere near the San Jose Earthquakes’ goal.
But never mind that. Fans around CenturyLink won’t be remember Rosales’ afternoon for the chance he blew. Rather, they’ll remember how his beautifully struck free kick sneaked just inside the near post, eliminating any chance that goalkeeper Jon Busch might have had at a save.
The goal, just before halftime on a brilliant, sunny day in Seattle had to be emotionally devastating to the visitors, who didn’t have much on offense before intermission but were about to get into the changing room behind my just one goal.
Instead … this:
- Red Bulls’ season could rest on the shoulders of Tim Cahill 0
- Can Thibaut Courtois surpass Manuel Neuer as the world’s best? 2
- Geoff Cameron talks Thanksgiving, Stoke City vs. Liverpool and more 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester United, Chelsea, QPR 0
- Top Five storylines for Week 13 of the Premier League 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 13 0