May 11, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Where Seattle Sounders midfielder Mauro Rosales is concerned, this could have been the match everyone remembered for his silly header miss from six yards.
Brad Evans had arranged such a wonderful chance for the onrushing Rosales, who sneaked in from his right-midfield spot but absolutely slaughtered a diving header, coming nowhere near the San Jose Earthquakes’ goal.
But never mind that. Fans around CenturyLink won’t be remember Rosales’ afternoon for the chance he blew. Rather, they’ll remember how his beautifully struck free kick sneaked just inside the near post, eliminating any chance that goalkeeper Jon Busch might have had at a save.
The goal, just before halftime on a brilliant, sunny day in Seattle had to be emotionally devastating to the visitors, who didn’t have much on offense before intermission but were about to get into the changing room behind my just one goal.
Instead … this:
- Newcastle United 0-1 Arsenal: Gunners play up a man 74 minutes, need own goal to win 0
- Watch Live: Chelsea vs. Crystal Palace (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Watch Live: Manchester City vs. Watford (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Every Premier League game live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 4 0
- Watch Live: Newcastle United vs. Arsenal (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Wolfsburg sporting director: “De Bruyne is off to Manchester City” 0