May 12, 2013, 6:14 PM EST
Portland’s ability to hammer teams on the counter attack is getting to be quite the signature bit around Jeld-Wen Field.
Actually, Portland was “hammering” Chivas USA in a lot of ways in Oregon on Sunday afternoon, comfortably in control against the visitors for the first half, although onlyable to squeeze one of its 12 shots past backup goalkeeper Patrick McLain before the break.
The one Caleb Porter’s side did score was a textbook counter attack, starting with goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts, flowing quickly through the opportunistic feet of playmaker Diego Valeri, then through a fine feed from Ryan Johnson and finished with composure by recently converted winger Rodney Wallace.
Back to front, about 10 seconds. Impressive.
Here’s Sunday’s counter-attack gem. Watch it. Study it, if you like, and then decide if it tops last week’s counter-attack gem constructed by Real Salt Lake.
Just one week ago, young RSL attacker Luis Gil finished a great, lightning strike goal at Rio Tinto Stadium. Like the Timbers’ goal on Sunday, it began with something spotted quickly by the goalkeeper, in that case Nick Rimando. So … which is better?
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- MLS Cup 2000 flashback: Molnar, Meola the heroes for Kansas City – video 0
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (17)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)