May 12, 2013, 7:40 PM EST
Chivas USA defender Mario de Luna will probably hear form the commissioner’s office this week after shoving a ball boy – a ball boy! – Sunday during a silly and unnecessary incident late in his team’s loss to Portland.
In his defense, de Luna is a first-year MLS man. So he wasn’t around in 2012 to see Colin Clark, playing then for the Houston Dynamo, get nailed with a three-game ban for a homophobic slur directed toward a ball boy.
But that’s no excuse. It’s a ball boy! A teenager, by appearances … but that doesn’t matter.
Nor does it matter that Chivas USA was having a very bad day, surely frustrated from being on the business end of a 3-0 throttling.
It could have been worse, I suppose. Just ask Chelsea’s Eden Hazard, who was quickly convicted in the court of public opinion after kicking a ball boy in the stomach in January.
Either way, leave the ball boys and ball girls alone, guys.
Surely, MLS commissioner Don Garber will be issuing a reminder this week in the form of a fine or suspension.
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 15 0
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 8
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (39)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (22)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (19)