May 12, 2013, 7:40 PM EST
Chivas USA defender Mario de Luna will probably hear form the commissioner’s office this week after shoving a ball boy – a ball boy! – Sunday during a silly and unnecessary incident late in his team’s loss to Portland.
In his defense, de Luna is a first-year MLS man. So he wasn’t around in 2012 to see Colin Clark, playing then for the Houston Dynamo, get nailed with a three-game ban for a homophobic slur directed toward a ball boy.
But that’s no excuse. It’s a ball boy! A teenager, by appearances … but that doesn’t matter.
Nor does it matter that Chivas USA was having a very bad day, surely frustrated from being on the business end of a 3-0 throttling.
It could have been worse, I suppose. Just ask Chelsea’s Eden Hazard, who was quickly convicted in the court of public opinion after kicking a ball boy in the stomach in January.
Either way, leave the ball boys and ball girls alone, guys.
Surely, MLS commissioner Don Garber will be issuing a reminder this week in the form of a fine or suspension.
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0
- Southampton 3-0 Everton: Saints hammer Toffees to end slide 0
- Aston Villa 1-1 Manchester United: Falcao header equals Benteke’s stunner, 10-man Villans hang on for point 1
- Manchester City 3-0 Crystal Palace: Citizens level with Chelsea, play without a striker 0
- Watch Live: Aston Villa vs. Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0