May 12, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Chivas USA defender Mario de Luna will probably hear form the commissioner’s office this week after shoving a ball boy – a ball boy! – Sunday during a silly and unnecessary incident late in his team’s loss to Portland.
In his defense, de Luna is a first-year MLS man. So he wasn’t around in 2012 to see Colin Clark, playing then for the Houston Dynamo, get nailed with a three-game ban for a homophobic slur directed toward a ball boy.
But that’s no excuse. It’s a ball boy! A teenager, by appearances … but that doesn’t matter.
Nor does it matter that Chivas USA was having a very bad day, surely frustrated from being on the business end of a 3-0 throttling.
It could have been worse, I suppose. Just ask Chelsea’s Eden Hazard, who was quickly convicted in the court of public opinion after kicking a ball boy in the stomach in January.
Either way, leave the ball boys and ball girls alone, guys.
Surely, MLS commissioner Don Garber will be issuing a reminder this week in the form of a fine or suspension.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 0
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 1
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 3
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2