May 12, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Chivas USA defender Mario de Luna will probably hear form the commissioner’s office this week after shoving a ball boy – a ball boy! – Sunday during a silly and unnecessary incident late in his team’s loss to Portland.
In his defense, de Luna is a first-year MLS man. So he wasn’t around in 2012 to see Colin Clark, playing then for the Houston Dynamo, get nailed with a three-game ban for a homophobic slur directed toward a ball boy.
But that’s no excuse. It’s a ball boy! A teenager, by appearances … but that doesn’t matter.
Nor does it matter that Chivas USA was having a very bad day, surely frustrated from being on the business end of a 3-0 throttling.
It could have been worse, I suppose. Just ask Chelsea’s Eden Hazard, who was quickly convicted in the court of public opinion after kicking a ball boy in the stomach in January.
Either way, leave the ball boys and ball girls alone, guys.
Surely, MLS commissioner Don Garber will be issuing a reminder this week in the form of a fine or suspension.
- Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton 0
- Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio 1
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 2
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1