May 12, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
Watford have confirmed their place in the Championship Playoff final after a dramatic injury time goal by Troy Deeney fired the Hornets into the npower Championship play-off final with a 3-1 win over Leicester City.
Watford trailed 1-0 from the first leg three days ago and looked destined to be out on aggregate as they carried a 2-1 lead into injury time of Sunday’s thriller. Things looked especially bleak for Gianfranco Zola’s side when a dive by Leicester’s Anthony Knockaert earned the Foxes a penalty in the fourth minute of injury time.
But karma caught up with Knockaert as he missed the penalty and Watford exploded into attack. Ikechi Anya fed Fernando Forestieri, who’s cross found Jonathan Hogg. The 24 year old playmaker then headed the ball down to Troy Deeney, who spanked home the game-winner from 12 yards out.
The 96th minute goal ignited pandemonium at Vicarage Road as players, coaches and fans swarmed the pitch in celebration. The goal even prompted an on-field sprint by Zola who slipped into a hilarious fall only to pop back up into the arms of an assistant.
Watford held a 2-1 lead through a Matej Vydra double that came on either side of David Nugent’s header. With Deeney’s sensational winner Watford will now face Brighton or Crystal Palace in the May 27th final to determine which side earns the third Championship spot in the Barclays Premier League.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0