May 12, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
Watford have confirmed their place in the Championship Playoff final after a dramatic injury time goal by Troy Deeney fired the Hornets into the npower Championship play-off final with a 3-1 win over Leicester City.
Watford trailed 1-0 from the first leg three days ago and looked destined to be out on aggregate as they carried a 2-1 lead into injury time of Sunday’s thriller. Things looked especially bleak for Gianfranco Zola’s side when a dive by Leicester’s Anthony Knockaert earned the Foxes a penalty in the fourth minute of injury time.
But karma caught up with Knockaert as he missed the penalty and Watford exploded into attack. Ikechi Anya fed Fernando Forestieri, who’s cross found Jonathan Hogg. The 24 year old playmaker then headed the ball down to Troy Deeney, who spanked home the game-winner from 12 yards out.
The 96th minute goal ignited pandemonium at Vicarage Road as players, coaches and fans swarmed the pitch in celebration. The goal even prompted an on-field sprint by Zola who slipped into a hilarious fall only to pop back up into the arms of an assistant.
Watford held a 2-1 lead through a Matej Vydra double that came on either side of David Nugent’s header. With Deeney’s sensational winner Watford will now face Brighton or Crystal Palace in the May 27th final to determine which side earns the third Championship spot in the Barclays Premier League.
- Van Gaal has interest in Ronaldo, doesn’t think Real Madrid will sell 2
- Americans Abroad preview: Guzan looks to keep Villa rolling 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 5 1
- Euro 2020 semis, final to be played at Wembley Stadium 1
- Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire 0
- MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem 19