May 13, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
Major League Soccer longest home unbeaten streak is over. Sporting Kansas City’s gritty 1-0 win late Sunday over Houston snaps the Dynamo’s league record home unbeaten streak at 36 games across all competitions.
Sporting KC is the first team to win in Houston in almost two years (since June 18, 2011).
Dynamo president Chris Canetti obviously was not thrilled, but took the night in stride. Via Twitter he said: “The streak is something to be proud of. Had to end sometime. Tribute to players and fan support that we set the MLS record.”
And: “Not used to driving home unhappy. It was only our 18th regular season home loss in 116 home games. We are 65-18-33 all-time at home.”
Houston veteran center back Bobby Boswell tried to add some perspective, suggesting that the streak was always something the rest of us talked about, but that the players inside BBVA Compass Stadium’s locker room attempted not to focus on.
I’ve said this since you guys started talking about the streak. It gives teams that come in here more motivation, it gives them a reason … Have you ever seen a team win a game and have a huddle after the game? And go run around screaming in the tunnel after a game? I haven’t.
They obviously feel like they’ve accomplished something great. Credit to them for getting the result, but that’s not going to break us a team.
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 1
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 3
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014