Monday “Meh” list: quick recap of the slightly overrated

May 13, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT

Jeld-Wen turf

People, places and things we noticed recently that land on the over-done or overly praised side. Not necessarily awful but, you know, just “meh.

• Call two goals a “brace”
  • Any “marquee” matchup that can’t land at a better time than 11 p.m. ET
  • Jose Luis Sanchez Sola’s raw emotion
  • Juan Toja’s ability to ever make in impact for New England
  • “Top Shelf” margaritas
  • Chicago midfielder Joel Lindpere
  • The next, latest, greatest homegrown initiative (Tap me on the shoulder when the homegrown kids are contributing; until then, spare me the self-congratulatory boasts.)
  • Over-concern for artificial turf
  • Any excuse for putting hands on a ball boy
  1. bigdinla - May 13, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Maybe the ball boy likes it?

As to homegrown players; what do you consider homegrown?

• midtec2005 - May 13, 2013 at 7:23 PM

And what does he consider contributing? I think LA has some contributors…

2. dreadpirate82 - May 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Steve – I have a meeting around lunch in Addison tomorrow, and I’m hoping to catch the Wigan game before my flight at Love Field. Any suggestions on a non-meh bar that will likely be showing it close by? I realize the Dallas area is massive but would appreciate a tip if you’re familiar with that pocket of the city. Crossing my fingers that the meeting will be over in time.

• Steve Davis - May 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Londoner in Addison has long been a great soccer bar, although it’s not quite that close to Love. The game is on Fox Soccer Channel, so any self-respecting bar / sports themed restaurant will probably have it.

• dreadpirate82 - May 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, Steve. By the time my meeting ended, it was 4-1, so I went to the airport thinking about how I’m going to watch Latics next year in the Championship. Oh well. The Premier League will be a bit less fun to watch next year. Not that it will change my viewing habits.

3. cfutch - May 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I’m sorry but these ball boys deserve to get pushed. They should never be allowed to slow the game down by not giving the ball back. Furthermore, they should be banned from ever being a ball boy if they insist on doing stuff like that.

• mlsconvert88888 - May 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM

You’re right about one thing, ball boys aren’t supposed to slow the game down. But in the case of the portland ball boy, he actually was stopping the Chivas player from wasting time. Sure in hind sight he should’ve handed it over and waited for the Chivas player to figure it out but it’s an easy enough mistake to think that a professional should have a grasp on the game situation equal to a tween.

And anyway, if you think a ball boy is wasting time, ask the ref to log the stoppage time. Pushing a ball boy, or advocating for it, just makes you look like a petulant twat.

4. billobrienschindimple - May 13, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I think you missed a big one.

– Men lists

5. billobrienschindimple - May 13, 2013 at 9:21 PM

stupid auto correct

– Meh lists

• mrpaisley - May 13, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Except, that the ball belonged to Portland, not Chivas…

• mrpaisley - May 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Do I really need to be “that guy”? How in the hell is Yedlin NOT contributing? To me, from my point of view, he’s pushed us past Tigres, and contributed more minutes than any other Sounder across all competitions…

But yeah he’s prolly just chillin’, doin’ nothin’. Definitely didn’t do anything in that San Jose stomp.

• Steve Davis - May 13, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Not talking about Yedlin. There are definitely some homegrowns contributing around MLS. But most clubs think their academy system and ideas are the best out there … and some of them like to tell you about it.

6. charliej11 - May 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM

The problem with using British language all the time is it doesn’t translate….someone has to be able to come up with something cooler than “brace”.

You have picked the exact wrong time to come up with homegrown player being meh. It has finally become a factor. Yedlin is so big that he would have the most minutes, but he sat out a game for a suspension.

• valiantdraws - May 13, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Can we just call it a “deuce”? I like the word “deuce”.

Plus, “Deuce” is such a great song. How awesome would it be to play that song when someone scores two goals in a game?

• Ben Saufley - May 14, 2013 at 8:48 AM

“Mike Magee dropped a deuce on the field at the Home Depot Center this weekend…” Not sure that works so well.

I have no problem with “brace.” I also have no problem with “two goals.” Just like I have no problem with “pitch” and “field,” “kit” and “uniform” and “outfit,” and even “football” and “soccer.”

The Toja one hurts, because it’s so true.

• valiantdraws - May 15, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Man, didn’t even think of that. Hahahaha.

• Ben Saufley - May 14, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I agree about homegrowns as well – Yedlin is a great example, but Diego Fagundez had one of the best performances on the field in Saturday’s Revs-New York game, and though it doesn’t say a ton, he’s currently the team’s top goal-scorer. Caldwell will contribute more as things continue, I think, and the Revs are (I think) expecting Agudelo to be a more-than-minor part in their attack – that’s a team with three homegrowns in non-fringe roles.

• wyrm1 - May 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Andy Najar (no longer with us) and Bill Hamid have been pretty important parts of DC United for the past couple of years.

7. kuhjon - May 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I have no problem with”brace” but if you’re searching for a replacement, may I suggest “pair?”

8. chadmoon1 - May 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM

There should always be concern about artificial turf. It should not be allowed to be used. It shortens the careers of the players that play on it regularly because of cumulative injuries. Those that play on it now would do well to replace it with grass.

• chadmoon1 - May 15, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I meant find another club that plays on grass. Save your knees, ankles, and shins at least 2 extra years worth of wear and tear.