May 13, 2013, 1:50 PM EST
Yes, in all honesty, it would have been useful for Houston Dynamo striker Will Bruin to shake something loose down in Houston last night, to stir up a goal somehow, one that would have rescued his team’s league record unbeaten streak at home.
That would have sealed the deal on this puppy, beyond all doubt, positioning the young Dynamo frontrunner as our undisputed Player of the Week.
Then again, maybe the guy had already done enough.
The man with a paw print on all four goals as his team delivers a fairly rare and quite impressive 4-0 road win has probably already done enough.
Bruin scored twice and assisted on two more as Dominic Kinnear’s club hammered out a huge win away from BBVA Compass Stadium on Wednesday, heaping more misery on Ben Olsen’s D.C. United at the same time.
How many times does an MLS man get in on four goals in one match? It’s not “rare-rare,” like a major city without a freakin’ Starbucks. But it doesn’t happen often.
There have been 10 MLS men with four or more goals in a game, and four players with four or more assists in a game. When you add the categories and look for the foursomes (that is, games with a combined four goals or assists) you start getting close to 100 occurrences all-time.
So, again, hardly unprecedented – but we’re talking about 18 years of MLS action now, which means it happens around five or six times a season on average. That certainly seems “MLS Player of the Week” worthy, even if the Dynamo couldn’t quite squeeze on past Sporting KC to cap a busy Round 11.
- MLS roundup: LA Galaxy, Orlando, Red Bulls, Union, RSL, 13 others in preseason finales 0
- WATCH: NYCFC’s Mix Diskerud hits a screamer from 20 yards 0
- WATCH: Michael Bradley, Sebastian Giovinco combine for Jozy Altidore’s first Toronto FC goal 4
- Premier League Sunday preview: Big boys tangle ahead of League Cup final 0
- Bundesliga wrap: Dortmund and Bayern flying high with big goal performances 0
- Premier League roundup: Manchester United go third, tight wins elsewhere 0